What's new

Graphic backgrounds? Add your own?

Bazzer

In Settings, Personalise, Backgrounds there are 20 Graphic backgrounds including the Wallpaper which is the last one.
As anyone found which folder they are stored in? and changed added their own?
My preference is the Robot one or No2 in first row.

kundas1

you can set any background from anywhere on your device, I have all my wallpapers on my mSD card in a folder specific for wallpapers as I have so many of them, you can also set the background to change on a time base you desire.... there's no need to change or add more to the windows designated wall folder...

EDRo

you can set any background from anywhere on your device, I have all my wallpapers on my mSD card in a folder specific for wallpapers as I have so many of them, you can also set the background to change on a time base you desire.... there's no need to change or add more to the windows designated wall folder...

He's talking about the animated Start screen backgrounds (the ones that move when you scroll the Start screen) rather than the wallpaper.

EDRo

I'd love to find some of these as well.. and possibly learn how to make them too!

I like the "gear" one, and the "city" with the little windows in the buildings that light up here and there...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Backgrounds are embedded in a DLL file in System32 IIRC, themeui.dll I think, I remember attempting to extract them with a Hex editor once and the were made up of a bunch of square bitmaps.

EDRo

here's something I think you guys might be interested in and may help

How To Set Animated Wallpaper or Video As Start Screen Background In Windows 8.1
Well, it's too bad that won't run on RT for one as it's an x86 application, and two, it's a good thing it wont run, as apparently it's loaded with malware according to the comments on that page. So the concept of RT's "walled garden" protects us from that one! :)

The Backgrounds are embedded in a DLL file in System32 IIRC, themeui.dll I think, I remember attempting to extract them with a Hex editor once and the were made up of a bunch of square bitmaps.
Thanks, I knew they were in a system file somewhere. It'd be really nice if a developer made an RT store app that would allow us to change these themes with something like add-on packs.