What's new

Graphics control panel/ colour management

adamCCC

Hi

Ive just recently got my SP3 and I love it! But I have a few questions.

How do I access the intel graphics control panel? I cant find it, also tried downloading the latest drivers from intel but it said they weren't compatible for my device (it was through their auto detect feature).

If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it :)

Thanks

p.s. does everyones surface get pretty hot? just doing normal tasks such as web browsing

Bandito

Greetings!

It would appear that Microsoft alters the Intel graphics drivers for the SP3 as there is no Intel graphics control panel available on our systems. They only display the usual Windows controls. That being said, if you go to the desktop and right-click anywhere on the desktop itself, you can select the Change resolution option and once in there, click on Advanced settings. On the Monitor window that opens, there is a tab for Color Management where you can alter settings, though without a colorimeter it is rather difficult to do.

As to how hot the SP3 gets during web browsing, it depends on many factors, such as which browser you're using and the content of the pages you're visiting. If they are running JavaScript, have lots of animations, or are playing video, they will cause the CPU to work harder and therefore generate more heat.

For me, when on pages such as this one, using Modern IE, my SP3 is barely even warm, but on other sites or with multiple tabs open and running Chrome, it can get fairly warm, bordering on hot at times.

Hi

Ive just recently got my SP3 and I love it! But I have a few questions.

How do I access the intel graphics control panel? I cant find it, also tried downloading the latest drivers from intel but it said they weren't compatible for my device (it was through their auto detect feature).

If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it :)

Thanks

p.s. does everyones surface get pretty hot? just doing normal tasks such as web browsing

Follow these steps to get the control panel and to fix the banding issues from Microsoft's Graphics drivers.
1. Use Intel's website to get your graphics drivers - manually look for the laptop drivers for GPU 4300 - get the Zip file and extract to a folder, the official driver, not the Beta driver.
2. Go to Device Manager on desktop and uninstall the Graphics Drivers, DO NOT restart computer.
3. Download Driver Sweeper (free - google search), and select Intel Chipset -> Analyze, and Clean all 2 or 3 files found and Restart Computer.
4. Go to Device Manager and Update Graphics Driver, select Have Disk and search for the extracted Graphics 64/ *.inf file.
5. Restart computer one last time after installation and voila!

You will have smooth colors, no more banding issues on dark grays to blacks in video and images and you will also see all Intel Graphics Options.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
BTW - There is a reason the MS removes these functions from their version. The Intel Control Panel and other TSR run in the background uses resources and the tend to negatively impact battery life and can cause driver crashes entering/exiting Connected Standby...

I didn't have the microsoft drivers long enough to compare the battery life from the intel drivers, but I haven't had a single crash to and from Connected Standby. I'll take an hour less battery life over grainy colors anyday.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No worries....I just wanted people to know that these decisions by MS are not arbitrary...

I just wish Microsoft would fix the graphics drivers currently in their driver set. And where is the Pen pressure software that we were supposed to get? Hope they didn't forget lol.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I just wish Microsoft would fix the graphics drivers currently in their driver set. And where is the Pen pressure software that we were supposed to get? Hope they didn't forget lol.
You can download the WINTAB driver directly from the n-trig website....

I have the Wintab drivers already and while they are great I am awaiting the official microsoft custom pressure drivers that was discussed on surfaceproartist.com. hehe

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Wintab drivers already and while they are great I am awaiting the official microsoft custom pressure drivers that was discussed on surfaceproartist.com. hehe
The N-trig Driver is the only special driver as far as I know, SurfaceProArtist is active on TabletPCReview.com you may want to ping him...