What's new

Great Apps that are even MORE amazing on Surface Pro 3

Feoen

I love my SP3, and great apps make it even better. I find it a little difficult to find truly great apps in the Windows App Store, so I figured a topic dedicated to those hidden gems that make the Surface Pro 3 shine would be warranted. This isn't just about great apps -- this is about apps that make the Surface Pro 3 the best Windows tablet on the market!

1. Audials - FREE

Thousands of internet radio stations. They really got the metro interface down, and it will play the audio in the background while you have other apps or the Desktop up. Amazing for workplace productivity while having music going. I'm currently listening to my favorite internet radio station, "Dinner Jazz Excursion". You can even "pin" various radio stations to the Start Screen, AND you can just hit a "record" button which will let you record anything that is playing right to your hard drive. It's made even better on the Surface because hitting a volume key on the device will bring up the little volume indicator, but it will also show exactly what is playing. Audials is really built into the system quite well, and has quickly become one of my most favorite apps.

2. MangaZ - FREE

Allows you to view chapter by chapter from hundreds of legal and unlicensed manga! What makes this AMAZING on the SP3 is that the 3:2 aspect ratio of the tablet is the perfect size for viewing a manga page. You don't need to zoom or rotate images to read the text; the screen is ideal for reading when held vertically. The paid version let's you download an entire series at once rather than chapter by chapter, and supports some other features as well.

jedge

GunFinger app for Windows in the Windows Store
Free + Pay2Play. I usually hate those free in-game purchase games but this one is an exception. First off, it's killing zombies. Second it works perfectly with a touch screen and the graphics are gorgeous. Third you can get very far and have a ton of fun without purchasing anything. I'd recommend purchasing the first starter pack for 3.99 (because it includes first-buy bonuses) then you're 99% good to go.

Riptide GP2 app for Windows in the Windows Store
Free demo. This game will put some serious stress on your SP3. Looks gorgeous and if you're a fan of WaveRace 64... well ok, it's not as good as that because of the controls but it's pretty darn good. Free demo.

Star Wars: Tiny Death Star app for Windows in the Windows Store
Free + Pay2Play. Another Facebook game. But it's cute and fun.

The Movie Challenge app for Windows in the Windows Store
Free. A friend recommended this and i thank him very much. You have to guess a movie title based on the dvd/poster artwork. The catch is, you can only see part of the picture. If you're a movie fan you'll love this. If you get stuck IMDB can help.

KVADPhoto+ app for Windows in the Windows Store
Free. The Photo App in Win 8.1 is pretty cool and fun. Has the basic edit options you'd expect. Past that: if you like editing photos with mouse/kbd you'll want to download Paint.net 4.0. If you prefer editing in a touch-based environment this is the best App available... except for it's more robust Pro version.

MetroRadio app for Windows in the Windows Store
Free. Pandora App, syncs to your account and everything.

Metrotube app for Windows in the Windows Store
Free. YouTube App, syncs to your account and everything.

Nesbox app for Windows in the Windows Store
Free. An NES/SNES/Genesis Emulator. Comes with a handful of games included, and the rest you can find in various places online... of course you would only download them if you legally own a copy right!

Last edited:

bulls96

Flipboard looks great on the SP3. Had it on the Surface RT before and it was horrible. Pictures and speed on the SP3 are great!

ctitanic

Flipboard looks great on the SP3. Had it on the Surface RT before and it was horrible. Pictures and speed on the SP3 are great!

I agree, it seems to me that those coming from Surface RT or 2 appreciate even more the beauty of This machine!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Typically any properly coded WinRT App should look great on the SP3 because of the way the WinRT APIs handles scaling and this is why Store Apps are preferable over Win32 Applications in High DPI devices.