What's new

Great Surface Pen 4 Performance on Surface Pro 3

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm rather missing the pen experience of the sp3. This soft bendy screen on the sp4 is just weird. And for some reason, today being the first time doing hours of notes with the sp4, i ended up with handcramps that i only get when using actual pen and paper, but not the sp3)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Am I right in thinking that the new style (pack of 4) tips do NOT fit/work with the previous SP3 pro pen ?

thanks

I've seen someone here say that no the new nibs don't work on the older pen. I have both so I could try it out but I haven't yet!

Is there a tool for getting the nibs out? I must admit I've used my teeth in the past lol!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can confirm having just tested, the new nibs will not fit the old pen.

I also have to resort to a knife or teeth to get the new nibs out of the pan. Nothing to get purchase on.

skidd

confused - so new pen on SP3 pro does .. ?
- greater sensitivity and better inking
- one less button - what does the button do now if the eraser is the blunt end ?
- different tips
- eraser function is now the blunt end and not the button
- press the button still opens OneNote ?

skidd

I thought the new 4 tip set holder had a gripper in the end ? (according to the advert)

I can confirm having just tested, the new nibs will not fit the old pen.

I also have to resort to a knife or teeth to get the new nibs out of the pan. Nothing to get purchase on.

Niekess

Hmm interesting. Got this week the type cover of 4 for my 3 and love that. The pen I was thinking about..
One thing I wonder, does the pen also attaches to the side on the Pro 3 since it's a magnet?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just thought i'd say to those on the fence, that one of my classmates has an S3 having seen my SP3, and yesterday i let him use my sp4 pen for a couple of minutes on his S3, and from the moment the nib hit the screen he was all smiles and is now looking at buying one (which is a fairly considerable expense for someone on a student budget living in central london)

leeshor

Actually my SP4 pen will in fact stick to the side of my metal desktop case. It is either a magnet or has been magnetized.