What's new

Greetings from NH

ParisSleuth

Just received my Surface as a gift from my husband. I am definitely not a tech nut so I am slowly learning the ins and outs of this machine. My one big issue, though, and I sure hope this forum will give me guidance, is that I am unable to access my work email. I need the Cisco VPN app which apparently is unavailable. This is presenting a HUGE problem for me and making me think the selection of the Surface was a mistake. Does anyone know if/when the app will be available?

ArnoldC

It is really strange infrastructure requirement to require a Cisco client to access anything including email.

In its current state it will he useless if that is the requirement for work. Either you sell it, which may not be good being a gift, or pay forward and gift it to another family member.

If you will take that Cisco thing away and work with the Surface I'm pretty sure you will like it.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Sin

First off, Welcome! Cisco AnyConnect is a requirement for my company as well. Our security requirements are tight and our IT is slow to change, which is to be expected. A Cisco AnyConnect client will allow me to check my email and IM people at work without have to go an fire up my work laptop, which would be a cool and convenience, but not a requirement for myself as I use the Surface as a personal device and not a business device. Then again I think Microsoft need to push these issues pretty hard if they really want to gain market in the enterprise world with RT, otherwise RT is going to stay relegated to the consumer market. The lack of explanation about the API needed and the fate of any development of a AnyConnect client has been a joke by both Cisco and Microsoft. Just tell people if it will ever see the light of day or not. Keeping customers in the dark doesn't work out so well in the long term.

ArnoldC

It's not a Microsoft problem, Cisco is just...
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Sin

Microsoft should at least explain to everyone what Cisco is asking for. I agree that Cisco looking for access to the kernel is unreasonable for Windows RT and they should stop being lazy and re-code their app to meet the Windows Store requirements. Unfortunately Microsoft isn't explaining the situation and Cisco has no advantage to admitting that they don't want to write a new version, since blaming Microsoft for not providing the necessary APIs is so easy.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Good points about Cisco and MS. As far as a solution if you can leave your laptop or desktop running you can rdp to it with your Surface to access your email as well as any legacy apps you may need for work. Maybe not ideal for some but a great option if you can try it.

OP
P

ParisSleuth

Cisco VPN

Thank you for the replies. I did just hear about Cisco AnyConnect and intend to try that.

I just think it is really weird that Surface RT cannot make this happen. I realize this is a Cisco issue but hey, you mean MS doesn't have any influence? I also don't think it is reasonable to have people using a tool that is either personal or work. It's like carrying around two phones. Everyone at work has an Ipad. That means no one (excluding this doofus) is ever going to buy a Surface at my place of employment. Sorry but that makes absolutely no sense to me. How can they expect to make a go at this when competitors make it happen? I'm just flummoxed. And really sorry I have a Surface.

First off, Welcome! Cisco AnyConnect is a requirement for my company as well. Our security requirements are tight and our IT is slow to change, which is to be expected. A Cisco AnyConnect client will allow me to check my email and IM people at work without have to go an fire up my work laptop, which would be a cool and convenience, but not a requirement for myself as I use the Surface as a personal device and not a business device. Then again I think Microsoft need to push these issues pretty hard if they really want to gain market in the enterprise world with RT, otherwise RT is going to stay relegated to the consumer market. The lack of explanation about the API needed and the fate of any development of a AnyConnect client has been a joke by both Cisco and Microsoft. Just tell people if it will ever see the light of day or not. Keeping customers in the dark doesn't work out so well in the long term.

Sin

Good points about Cisco and MS. As far as a solution if you can leave your laptop or desktop running you can rdp to it with your Surface to access your email as well as any legacy apps you may need for work. Maybe not ideal for some but a great option if you can try it.
No desktop machine in the office. I can remote into a server farm, but still need to a secure connection through the VPN first and then can remote desktop.

ArnoldC

End your agony and dispose it for one that will work with you. Not having Cisco's apps is not a limitation of the product. Next thing we'll hear is that people will be blaming the Surface for not running Oracle.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Paris, the answer is easy Surface Pro. Not sure why that isn't an option over the competition.

Sin, you can also rdp into a machine not at work (home pc) and vpn that into work. I think it was jnjroach that has talked about leapfrogging this way. Yes it is a pain but could work.

Sin

Paris, the answer is easy Surface Pro. Not sure why that isn't an option over the competition.

Sin, you can also rdp into a machine not at work (home pc) and vpn that into work. I think it was jnjroach that has talked about leapfrogging this way. Yes it is a pain but could work.
That is true, I could leapfrog into work. Would be a bit of a pain, but would work none the less. Just wish Cisco would make AnyConnect work on Windows RT, but that is probably going to be some time if ever.