What's new

[GUIDE] Increase Internet Explorer Performance

addictivepixels

This is a repost from my guide at XDA, figured I'd try to spread it around to various surface communities.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since we're restricted to Internet Explorer, I figured I would try to find some ways to make it a little more tolerable. These are the changes that I've made, and for me its made my Internet Explorer a little faster. Your milage may vary.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage, issues, plagues, fires, diarrhea, or any thing else that may result from using these tips!

Be very careful when editing the registry. If you don't know how to edit the registry, you may not want to attempt those tips.

Now that that's out of the way, here's what I've done:

Diable Automatic Configuration
Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings. Uncheck all the boxes under Automatic Configuration.

Change Cache Size
Tools > Internet Options > General > Settings > Set space to use to 50
* You may want to increase this depending on your browsing habits. I wouldn't exceed 250mb.

Set Homepage To about:blank
Tools > Internet Options > General > Type about:blank in the homepage address.
* Not having to load a homepage every time you launch IE makes the app launch time lower and decreases the time it takes for IE to become responsive.

Disable Accelerators
Tools > Manage Addons > Acceserators > Disable Everything

Use Tracking Protection
Tools > Manage Addons > Acceserators > Tracking Protection > Get a Tracking Protection List online > in the new window add in a few of the more popular lists.
* This also blocks advertisements, so if its blocking ads on some of your favorite sites (like xda) be sure to donate to those sites.

Increase Connection Limit
Locate the following key in the registry:
* If your browser puts a space in MAXCONNECTIONSPERSERVER make sure you do not enter it when making/editing the key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
On the Edit menu, point to New, click DWORD Value, and then add the following registry values:
Value name: MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
Value data: 10
Base: Decimal

Value Name: MaxConnectionsPerServer

Locate the following key in the registry:
* If your browser puts a space in MAXCONNECTIONSPERSERVER make sure you do not enter it when making/editing the key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPERSERVER
On the Edit menu, point to New, click DWORD Value, and then add the following registry values:
Value name: iexplore.exe

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MAIN\FeatureControl\FEATURE_MAXCONNECTIONSPER1_0SERVER
Value name: iexplore.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reboot your device after making these changes so they take effect.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got any additional tips? Let me know.