What's new

Had my first full system crash while in sleep -- might be related to Wifi?

Feoen

I haven't had any problems with my SP3 until today (owned it since last Saturday). I used it for about 3 hours taking notes this morning. I also had a very large download going, which I had forgotten about.

I then had to commute for about 45 minutes. It was 95 degrees out. I got to my workplace where it was not air conditioned and worked there for two hours. I then took out my SP3 to use it and it was EXTREMELY hot. Being used to Android phones that get stupid hot when a process has gone rogue, I knew to check.

Sure enough, the thing (which had been in sleep) would not wake up. I had to do the volume rocker + power button which brought me into some kind of recovery menu, and I just rebooted it.

I think what may have happened is that because I left wifi on and I had the huge download going, that the Connected Standby was repeatedly looking for a wifi network to connect to. It kept straining the battery (which lost 10% across that time while "asleep") and the thing inside a case inside my bag ended up heating up so it shut off.

My only concern is that there is NOTHING in the Windows System logs. No errors at all. All entries end at about 9 AM this morning when I discovered the crash around 2 PM.

Any idea why it didn't record a system error like that? (even if it wasn't an error, it at least would have read the hard shutdown)

puma

Possible it turned on while it was in your bag? I find mine turning on sometimes.. then shutting off. I worry this is happening in my bag.. that wouldn't be good for heat.

ipaq_101

Hrm that is very odd. Maybe something with the heat?

I just shutdown everytime, it boots up in 10 seconds and really isn't a problem for me to wait.

I will try putting it to sleep more and see if something like that happens.

OP
F

Feoen

Yeah I'm thinking of doing this. It really does boot up so fast there's no reason to keep it in sleep. I try to use it like an iPad when it's really a laptop. Keep forgetting that. :p

Been working flawlessly since, so it might've been the obnoxious muggy heat outside!

OP
F

Feoen

How weird. I'm sitting in a restaurant using this now and looked at the time... 11:27 PM?! That's totally wrong!

Apparently the crash caused my SP3 to lose its time syncing? I went into the clock and manually synced it with the Windows server which worked fine... But how strange!

foghat

well, I guess if you don't keep applications open shutting down every time would be fine. I couldn't stand doing that and I wouldn't change my use cases over one incident.

foghat

How weird. I'm sitting in a restaurant using this now and looked at the time... 11:27 PM?! That's totally wrong!

Apparently the crash caused my SP3 to lose its time syncing? I went into the clock and manually synced it with the Windows server which worked fine... But how strange!

That happened to me once as well after doing a hard reboot.