What's new

Had to create MS Account for each domain user ?

plop28

Hi,

We just bought some surface pro 2 in my enterprise. I have now users with windows 8.1 on my domain.

I work with windows 8 and 8.1 since the first day and i have a Microsoft account. I can use OneDrive, OneNote, Mail, Store etc.

Is there a way for my users to use these Apps without create a MS Account or do i have to create MS Account for all my users ?

Is Microsoft provide solutions for corporate ? I didn't find a good workaround yet

Thank's for your help

leeshor

Yes. I think, if I remember correctly the number of users who can have the same account is 15. I have several customers doing that. Microsoft started with 1 PC one account and quickly changed their mind and have boosted the number twice as I remember. The problem may come from more than one person using the same OneDrice account. Some of the systems I have worked with aren't even using OneDrive so it isn't a problem. (they have never even signed into it the first time).

OP
P

plop28

Hi all and thank's for your answer,

My users are new on windows 8.1 in my enterprise, i have to drive them for an efficient work with the surface Pro. (we bought docking stations, and BT mouses)

I use a surface since the first one in my IT and now i work with SP3. My favorite app for work is OneNote (take note during meeting, demonstration, note for writing procedure etc..)

So one of apps i want my users use is OneNote. Any chance to have a domain user using this app and sync with a local server ? SharePoint ?

How enterprise work with windows 8.1 ? Do they block the store ? and all apps who require a MS account ? Do they practice sideload to provide apps for users ?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have Active Directory? If so, if at least one DC is Server 2012 (or later) you can set a GPO that will allow your users to associate their personal Microsoft Account with their Domain Account for Store, OneDrive, etc.. If you don't have a Server 2012 (or later DC) import the ADMX files onto your PDC Emulator through Group Policy Snap In...

Windows 8 version here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36991

Windows 8.1 Version here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41193

I would recommend that you use OneDrive for Business rather OneDrive as it has Enterprise Management functionality.

Also, with Windows 10 Microsoft is adding some very interesting functionality to avoid the requirement for the Microsoft Account for Corporate Owned Assets, you will be able to use Azure AD to authenticate.

OP
P

plop28

Hi Jnjroach,

Thank's for the help but i can't apply this in my organisation.. I can't let my users do what they want with their account. If there is a problem, i don't want to work with personal data. All should be stay here and manageable by the IT.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jnjroach,

Thank's for the help but i can't apply this in my organisation.. I can't let my users do what they want with their account. If there is a problem, i don't want to work with personal data. All should be stay here and manageable by the IT.
Windows 8.1 keeps Business and Personal Data separate (Workplace Join or Domain Join) but we would be going on a big tangent if went down that path. I would encourage some research over on TechNet and potentially the IT Pro forums.

Windows 10 will alleviate this situation.