What's new

hands-on, let down

BearFlag

I went to the MS Store in San Diego yesterday and the screen wobble was the first thing I noticed. That is really the only thing deterring me from buying it, especially for that price.

I really wish they had just gone with the Yoga type design. The hinge is solid on my TPY. No wobble at all.

When does the screen wobble exactly? Not on a table while typing hard, right? That would be really annoying if it did. Wonder why the testers would overlook that.

When does the screen wobble exactly? Not on a table while typing hard, right? That would be really annoying if it did. Wonder why the testers would overlook that.

I got a whole 30 seconds with it before they took it in back for some "corporate event," but I could see a little wobbling while typing on the table, but if you're someone who uses the touchscreen when in laptop mode, use it in cars (passenger of course), or on planes, you're definitely going to notice it.

It might not be noticeable for some, but coming from a Thinkpad Yoga, that hinge is rock solid. I've never noticed any jittering or wobbling when in use.

Towards the end of this video, around 2:25, you can see what I'm talking about. Others have mentioned it too.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you're someone who uses the touchscreen when in laptop mode
Why would you do that??? you have a real mouse for laptop mode, it's not an iPad without proper mouse control it's completely unnecessary and actually silly because it's disruptive to keep switching back and forth from keyboard/mouse to screen.

Why would you do that??? you have a real mouse for laptop mode, it's not an iPad without proper mouse control it's completely unnecessary and actually silly because it's disruptive to keep switching back and forth from keyboard/mouse to screen.

There are plenty of times where I'm reading something and my arms are extended (since it's more relaxed and comfortable) and I scroll or click a link with my fingers rather than bringing them back to the track pad.

In addition, I usually read textbooks at night before going to sleep where I'm using a stylus to highlight or take quick notes (not heavy notes, cause that would be very uncomfortable for extended periods). Why would I want to take my hands away from the screen to use a mouse when they are right there? Especially if I have the keyboard part tucked underneath, the mouse isn't even accessible.

Please don't be so quick to attack someone's usage habits just because they are different from yours. We all have our preferences for products.

leeshor

I'm sure Microsoft is really happy to hear that the primary complaint is some screen wobble. ;);)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Especially if I have the keyboard part tucked underneath, the mouse isn't even accessible.
That's what I would have suggested for this and there's no screen wobble that way. It's not something you could have done with most touchscreen laptops excepting the other fold over designs but that's the beauty of new modes of usage being introduced.

That's what I would have suggested for this and there's no screen wobble that way. It's not something you could have done with most touchscreen laptops excepting the other fold over designs but that's the beauty of new modes of usage being introduced.

I meant using it with the keyboard tucked and the screen perpendicular to the keyboard, not flat against it. When I'm just reading in bed, that is how I prefer my Yoga to be.

Regardless, there is no point of arguing about how I prefer to use it and why I think the wobble would be annoying to me. It's not a deal breaker and I'm not trying to blow this up as some huge issue. My point is that it will be annoying for me and probably a few others.

Edit: Like this
Yoga3pro_04.jpg

BearFlag

I got a whole 30 seconds with it before they took it in back for some "corporate event," but I could see a little wobbling while typing on the table.

That actually would be a huge issue for me. If the screen wobbles at all when typing or using the touchpad on a table that would be really annoying and a deal breaker. Again I'm surprise the MS QC department didn't catch that.

Johnny365

They aren't stupid (Microsoft Quality Control). I think it's more of the hinge being "good enough" for Version 1 of Surface Book.

genenz

Was playing with the Surface Book in the Las Vegas store (across the road from my hotel) for 10 minutes.

Must admit, I personally loved it. Couldn't see any major wobble and I was deliberately trying to make it wobble, by picking it up and shaking it round. Of course, it wobbles a bit more than normal notebook with a thin screen, but it wasn't bad. The shop assistant said it was a preprod model.

I kept removing the 'clipboard' section. Around 4-5 times. Caused the computer to crash. Hopefully it is only associated with preproduction. The clipboard section is insanely light. Keyboard was pretty good too. Tried to look at the systems specs, but the computer had an admin password. Also you can connect the power cable to the clipboard section via the connector that connects it to the keyboard section. Oh and removing the clipboard, there's a nice click and you can see the clipboard section 'shudder' as it's released.

Also liked the SP4 - it's significantly lighter and the new keyboard is much nicer than the SP3. I own the SP3. The magnets seem to be much sturdier.

Pretty sure I'll get the Surface Book i7/256GB, either when I'm back in the US or if it gets released in Hong Kong. Also played with the 950XL. They didn't have the 950. Will get that as well only because my 930 screen is now discolouring and dying.

Some pictures:

Attachments

• WP_20151008_19_08_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151008_19_08_49_Pro.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 546
  • WP_20151008_19_08_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151008_19_08_38_Pro.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 551
  • WP_20151008_19_08_45_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151008_19_08_45_Pro.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:

BearFlag

Ok, I finally got to play around with it at my local MS store for a few minutes. I was very impressed with the device overall, and especially the screen. I thought the tablet portion was even better than the SP4.

However, I actually did notice it wobble more than other laptops. It's not an issue when rested on a hard surface like a desk but it is noticeable on uneven or partial surfaces like on a lap. When typing hard on my lap I noticed it wobbling. Not a deal breaker, but it is somewhat annoying.