What's new

Handwriting to Text Capabilities

Melanie

Hi everyone - the laboratory I work in is looking to use tablets for data collection, and one of the things we would like the tablet to be able to do is have the capability to use some sort of "smart pen" and the ability to convert handwriting into text in the Excel and Word programs. Can anybody tell me if any of the Surface Tablets have this capability? It looks like some of the "Pro" versions come with a Pen, but I wasn't sure if those could do the handwriting to text in Excel & Word versus just a note program. We were also looking at the Surface 2 which I don't think comes with a pen so wasn't sure if it had that capability at all either. Thanks so much!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can do this with any tablet, but the Surface 2 would require using a Capacitive Stylus (like those used on an iPad). You would use the Handwriting Input and wouldn't write directly into the Cell...OneNote is the best inking App...

The Handwriting Input Panel looks like this:

upload_2014-9-29_12-45-55.png

OP
M

Melanie

You can do this with any tablet, but the Surface 2 would require using a Capacitive Stylus (like those used on an iPad). You would use the Handwriting Input and wouldn't write directly into the Cell...OneNote is the best inking App...

The Handwriting Input Panel looks like this:

View attachment 3830

Thanks so much! So is that Handwriting Input already built in to the Office software or is it an app you would have to download?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I believe it is also in Windows 7 ultimate.
And XP SP2 TabletPC Edition, and Vista Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise....Windows 7 Home, Pro and Enterprise....but the Surface only run Windows 8.x/RT and this is a Surface Forum.