What's new

Handwritten notes in Reader app

pdubizon

Recently deployed Surface Pro 3's for execs to use while traveling, which have been great for the most part.

An issue came up when the user opens a PDF in the default "Reader" application, and makes handwritten notes with the stylus. The user then uses the Share - Email functionality to email the edited PDF. If you open the edited PDF on a smartphone/tablet, the handwritten notes do not show up, only the original PDF.

If you open the PDF on a PC with Acrobat(or any other PDF reader I have tried), the written text IS visible.

I think if he printed as a PDF then sent that it would work, but was really hoping to be able to do it all in one keystroke from inside the reader app.

Any thoughts?

TIA.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It means that the Mobile PDF readers are not regonizing the Ink Layer (this was common on PCs a few years ago), I believe Acrobat PDF Reader on the mobile platforms should see the ink notes...

OP
P

pdubizon

The problem with execs(this is the CEO in question) is that they "just want it to work" i.e. when they open and email on their phone and click on the attachment(with the default viewer), they want to see the handwritten notes.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with execs(this is the CEO in question) is that they "just want it to work" i.e. when they open and email on their phone and click on the attachment(with the default viewer), they want to see the handwritten notes.
What are you using for Mobile Device Management? Most MDM solutions support Deep Link Application Deployment.