What's new

hard, adjustable case?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Every facebook app I've tried nets me a ton of spam, so I try not to go through fb to do anything whenever possible. Not to mention that I can't believe I have to pay $2.99 for facebook on the surface, but that's a different issue & I get why.

That might be the price you pay for WWF. If they send you spam the problem is with them but until you try it through the web you won't know if that is the case. There are tons of free FB options available in the store so you don't have to pay. None of them are officially from FB anyway so you are paying an independent developer if you buy one, it isn't like FB is putting MS users over a barrel.

The keyboard he got me is the one that clicks onto the tablet & acts as a cover when not in use. The reason I HAVE a keyboard is that it's faster to type on than the on-screen keyboard, although the onscreen keyboard IS much better than the one on the ipad.

That is fine. Great in fact that you like the cover keyboards. But you don't have to use it. If you are at a desk any keyboard you have will essentially work in that situation. If the default angle of the screen doesn't appeal to you when not on the go it is an easy fix.

And incidentally, when sitting on a plane or in an airport, typing with the kickstand out & on the onscreen keyboard is impossible because of the angle.

Many will disagree. Don't use the onscreen keyboard with the kickstand out in that situation use it as a tablet. Set it flat in your lap, hold it with one hand, do whatever you would do with any other tablet for typing in a situation where you can't set the tablet flat. Many people use tablets without kickstands and with on screen keyboards in awkward positions all the time. Simply do the same with the Surface. As Sin said you even have alternate keyboard options for keeping your hands on the edges.

I have a lap desk, but I can't see myself dragging it everywhere when I travel. But I'll obviously be on the hunt for a new, compact one for this device.

If working from your lap is critical this is easily worth an investment of $20 for a lap desk no thicker than the type keyboard (the Logitech).

I didn't say I DON'T have time, I said I HADN'T had time. And I resent your implication that I hadn't put in the "smallest effort" and "if that is too much..." As a moderator I'd think you'd be a little more sympathetic to the needs of average customers who aren't tech geeks. I'm TRYING really hard to be a Microsoft fan- everyone around me was pushing me to go with Apple, but I insisted that this would be better. It would be nice if I could be right and not need to take a course to learn to use it.

If you hadn't the time you could come back when you did. Instead you implied you didn't want to look. I simply was pointing out that I was sorry you couldn't access the troves of information for not making time. In fact I went out of my way to give you numerous suggestions and links to help you with your issue (your welcome ;)). If you think you need to take a course to psychically learn how to use a Surface you are over thinking it. Use it as you would your laptop or iPad as the situation requires. These aren't technical issues or challenges you are dealing with personal/situational issues that may not be representative of the uses of an average customer.

You don't have to try and be a fan. No offense intended but if a lap top and iPad suit you better than stick with those.

JP

OP
D

dharma

(it's a pro)
Ok, so here's my plan: I'm going to put away the iPad, keep using Facebook through explorer, download the words app through it, and try this split screen (which I admit seems a faster & more comfortable way to type with my thumbs) while I select & order a skinny, portable lapdesk. :crazy:
It would seem that the only way to adjust is to use this exclusively for a while. I have apparently expected the Surface to BE a laptop rather than have laptop capabilities AND switching back & forth with the iPad is just making it more awkward.

Many thanks to everyone for your responses... I'll come back in a few days & report on whether I've adjusted... clearly this device has lots of loyal fans, so there must be a whole lot about it that I just haven't discovered yet.

For the record, I initially said "I don't have time right now" to search. But that's neither here nor there; I do very much appreciate everyone's help (even you, jp):wink: :LOL: and will stop "trying" and start just USING my new TABLET. :cool2:

Btw, this forum has the coolest smilies ever.

OP
D

dharma

Ok, one last question: what about "Hanging with Friends"? That one seems to work differently than "words" when I try to get it from facebook. :p

chrisleung

Please forgive me if this has been addressed somewhere; I'm new here & don't have time right now to search a million threads.

After many months of trying to convert me to Mac, my husband gave up & bought me a Surface as a replacement for my old laptop. If I could just get Words With Friends for it I could get rid of my ipad! However it seems to have a few limitations as a laptop that are driving me INSANE.

By the nature of the little stand on the back, the screen angle isn't adjustable for when I'm sitting at a desk vs. holding the thing on my lap on the couch or in bed. I can still see everything ok, it's just annoying that it's not "facing" me when it's down on my lap.

Also, the keyboard is nice to have, but it's pretty flimsy, so when it's on my lap, I have to put a lap desk or hard notebook or something underneath it to stabilize it enough to use the keyboard.

Does anyone make a hard case that it'll fasten into in order to give it more actual LAP TOP capability?

Hi Dharma and everyone else,

I've been working on a Smart Case for the Microsoft Surface that can both adjust the display angle and unfolds into a hard case. I would love to get your feedback, and would really appreciate it if you can forward this onto anyone else who might be interested!

Here is a 2-minute demo: [video=youtube;KY5lAmX_G-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5lAmX_G-0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5lAmX_G-0[/video]

And visit smartsurfacecase.com for updates!

Sincerely,
Chris

pallentx

I was going to suggest, there are several covers that give you variable kickstand options. Do a search on Amazon. The right case might solve your wobbly lap issue too. I've never been a big laptop actually in my lap user. When I want to get serious about typing, I find a table, otherwise, I prefer to go full slate tablet mode. Also, I think the type cover featured in the video above is probably more sturdy and better for typing that the slimmer touch cover. I think with the right accessories, you should be able to replace your laptop and iPad with one device. The most common complaint I hear about replacing a laptop with the Surface is screen size. If you're ok with that, I bet the rest can be worked out.

chrisleung

I was going to suggest, there are several covers that give you variable kickstand options. Do a search on Amazon. The right case might solve your wobbly lap issue too. I've never been a big laptop actually in my lap user. When I want to get serious about typing, I find a table, otherwise, I prefer to go full slate tablet mode. Also, I think the type cover featured in the video above is probably more sturdy and better for typing that the slimmer touch cover. I think with the right accessories, you should be able to replace your laptop and iPad with one device. The most common complaint I hear about replacing a laptop with the Surface is screen size. If you're ok with that, I bet the rest can be worked out.

Pallentx, I've searched on Amazon but haven't found anything. Can you tell me which ones you're referring to?

demandarin

Pallentx, I've searched on Amazon but haven't found anything. Can you tell me which ones you're referring to?

Well the moko rotary case I have has adjustable angles. It has 3 angle slots to put the tablet in. Then on the first slot I can open the case kickstand to make a more vertical angle. Then I can also lay the tablet flat folded back on case. So its not completely flat bit a good angle for typing.

So that's 5 different angles I can put the pro in in landscape mode. Hence the name rotary, I can also put the tablet in various portrait angles also. Although I never use portrait mode.

chrisleung

Well the moko rotary case I have has adjustable angles. It has 3 angle slots to put the tablet in. Then on the first slot I can open the case kickstand to make a more vertical angle. Then I can also lay the tablet flat folded back on case. So its not completely flat bit a good angle for typing.

So that's 5 different angles I can put the pro in in landscape mode. Hence the name rotary, I can also put the tablet in various portrait angles also. Although I never use portrait mode.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm personally not a big fan of cases that cover parts of the front of the Surface and the ventilation area in the upper-back where the fans blow hot air out, as my Surface Pro runs quite hot.

oion

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm personally not a big fan of cases that cover parts of the front of the Surface and the ventilation area in the upper-back where the fans blow hot air out, as my Surface Pro runs quite hot.

Good point, and something I notice about other cases too; I don't understand why you'd cover those areas of a Surface Pro. And I have nothing on the front of my Surface, as I prefer the completely smooth feel of swiping on glass (no screen protector either), which is easier to clean. I think your proposed case is unique compared to all of the existing cases that are based on low-power tablets like the iPad, which don't require more ventilation and such. Those cases would probably work fine for my RT, but I hate that their "angle engineering" makes the keyboard not sit flat on a table.

demandarin

actually the ventilation runs all along the sides of the pro. hence the thin slot that runs the perimeter of the pro. the moko tcase doesn't cover the ventilation ports along the sides or top or bottom. its actually a really good case. was just pointing out the various angles it could be put in. its a great case but does add bulk to the device.

im waiting for you to put your origami case out actually. there are things to be learned and improved upon from other cases already out. but this moko case is working very well for me atm. im just waiting on a less bulky design like the origami one.

chrisleung

actually the ventilation runs all along the sides of the pro. hence the thin slot that runs the perimeter of the pro. the moko tcase doesn't cover the ventilation ports along the sides or top or bottom. its actually a really good case. was just pointing out the various angles it could be put in. its a great case but does add bulk to the device.

im waiting for you to put your origami case out actually. there are things to be learned and improved upon from other cases already out. but this moko case is working very well for me atm. im just waiting on a less bulky design like the origami one.

I see. I looked at pictures of the Moko case on Amazon and the pictures there show material covering most of the top and sides of the Surface, with just parts of the corners of the Surface exposed. [link]

Thanks a lot for your encouragement! It's great to see the positive response so far and hopefully it continue to come!

minimojoman

I just bought the newest MOKO Slim Fit case for my surface, and it rocks!

Amazon.com : MoKo Slim-fit Type / Touch Keyboard Cover Companion Sleeve Case for Microsoft Surface Pro 10.6" Inch Windows 8 Tablet, WHITE : Touch Screen Tablet Computer Cases : Electronics

has a few different angles, works great w/o keyboard in bed, and can flip the case backwards while on desk to get better angles while using the Type Cover.. Also has a pen holder on the back, and does not cover ventilation! So far I think it works great!