What's new

Hard Shell Case for Surface Pro 3

Nolegrl

Do they make a hard case to protect the screen of the surface pro 3 when it's out of its sleeve? I'd still like to use the features of the surface (friction kickstand and magnetic keyboard hinge) but I'd like to protect the surface from drops if it's not in its sleeve.

I've seen the urban armor case, which seems to be the protection I'm looking for, but you can't use the surface kickstand with it on.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do they make a hard case to protect the screen of the surface pro 3 when it's out of its sleeve? I'd still like to use the features of the surface (friction kickstand and magnetic keyboard hinge) but I'd like to protect the surface from drops if it's not in its sleeve.

I've seen the urban armor case, which seems to be the protection I'm looking for, but you can't use the surface kickstand with it on.

I don't know of any out there that are not full cover cases. Seems really odd that there are no front covers taking advantage of the magnetic connector.

OP
N

Nolegrl

The reason why no cases exist that cover the screen is because the Type Cover is supposed to do that job. The Incipio Feather only covers the back but allows you to use the Surface Pro 3 kickstand.

http://amzn.to/1PBWDLV

That makes sense, but that's only the case when you have the cover closed. I'm worried of it falling off while in my lap or something like that. Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen that one, but the reviews turned me away.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The reason why no cases exist that cover the screen is because the Type Cover is supposed to do that job. The Incipio Feather only covers the back but allows you to use the Surface Pro 3 kickstand.

http://amzn.to/1PBWDLV

That makes zero sense to me. I am not going to pay £100 just to cover my screen, and i doubt anyone with a surface has bought an expensive keyboard cover just to cover their screen. If MS really believe this is a tablet as well as a laptop, then they have to pull their thumb out and support it as if it is also a tablet. I was looking at the S3, but the only way i would buy it is if it had a screen cover, but refuse to pay for a keyboard i don't want, and refuse to use a bulky ugly clamshell case.

A piece of plastic with some felt, a couple of magnets. Not that difficult to make. I wonder if MS have thrown down a bevvy of license restrictions or something to stop any 3rd party from making use of the magnetic connector. Seems odd that no chinese firm isn't throwing these on ebay for $20 a pop.

OP
N

Nolegrl

That makes zero sense to me. I am not going to pay £100 just to cover my screen, and i doubt anyone with a surface has bought an expensive keyboard cover just to cover their screen. If MS really believe this is a tablet as well as a laptop, then they have to pull their thumb out and support it as if it is also a tablet. I was looking at the S3, but the only way i would buy it is if it had a screen cover, but refuse to pay for a keyboard i don't want, and refuse to use a bulky ugly clamshell case.

A piece of plastic with some felt, a couple of magnets. Not that difficult to make. I wonder if MS have thrown down a bevvy of license restrictions or something to stop any 3rd party from making use of the magnetic connector. Seems odd that no chinese firm isn't throwing these on ebay for $20 a pop.
I would agree that $130 is expensive for just a screen cover, but the keyboard is meant for more. I think the majority of people who bought the surface bought the keyboard cover because that's what makes it a hybrid machine. I'm also angry that MS charges extra for the keyboard, and it is really a necessary part of the surface experience.

I do agree with you that some third party company should have a cheap bumper case for the surface that allows you to use both the kickstand and magnetic strip.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would agree that $130 is expensive for just a screen cover, but the keyboard is meant for more. I think the majority of people who bought the surface bought the keyboard cover because that's what makes it a hybrid machine. I'm also angry that MS charges extra for the keyboard, and it is really a necessary part of the surface experience.

I do agree with you that some third party company should have a cheap bumper case for the surface that allows you to use both the kickstand and magnetic strip.

I have a lot of instances where i do not want to bring my keyboard with me, or as per my other example, i would like the S3 as a companion device but have no need for a keyboard for it whatsoever. But i'm not buying it if it is just going to sit in my bag without anything preventing a cracked screen.

I also don't want a bumper case or anything like that. I simply want the type cover, without the type. It really shouldn't be that difficult or cost that much. The number of manufacturers who made cases for the nexus 10, which was pretty much a flop with regard to sales, suggests that surely for something growing in popularity like the sp3, surely someone would make one. Hence my wonder about patent or licensing or something. Maybe i should look into the idea of a kickstarter campaign. It would be absurdly easy to make.

PPCApache

I personally went for the Type Cover to use the SP3 as a Laptop and got the bonus that the Type cover becomes a screen protector, for even more protection for my SP3 I got myself the Urban Armor Gear Scout case.

This case does cover the built in Kickstand however the Scout has it's own stand.. And moves back the same amount as the built in kickstand.

And it folds back when in Tablet mode.

You can check out my full review here

Also when you flip the keyboard underneath, if you don't want the keys exposed then pull the keyboard off, flip it around and reconnect. This way when the keyboard is folded underneath the keys will be against the back of the UAG case. I've had my UAG case for over a month now and really like it, I was concerned about the built in kickstand but there are several positions and don't feel like it's that much of a compromise over the SP3 kickstand.