What's new

Hardware Update

ncameron

After the recent Firmware Update I've just had a hardware update - no idea what it does, and - amazingly - it did not involve a system restart. Anyone got any idea what's in it?

Neil

olimjj

If you have recently installed the Intel website display driver, it is Microsoft's rollback to its own version.

olimjj

As far as I know, I have not received a hardware update. How can we tell?
I suspect if you have not updated your display driver to the latest Intel version like many of us had done, then you would not receive a hardware update(rollback) from Microsoft.

fonzman78

I suspect if you have not updated your display driver to the latest Intel version like many of us had done, then you would not receive a hardware update(rollback) from Microsoft.

I didn't install the new drivers and I still got the Firmware upgrade yesterday. My SP also did about 3 restarts so I'm not sure why the OP's SP didn't reboot.

olimjj

I didn't install the new drivers and I still got the Firmware upgrade yesterday. My SP also did about 3 restarts so I'm not sure why the OP's SP didn't reboot.

I was referring to a Hardware update and differentiating it from a Firmare Update. Sorry for not being more specific.

Arizona Willie

Thanks bosamar, I got the firmware update ( which I knew ) but no hardware update.

I did not update my video driver.
Strange, it must check everyone's Surface when it checks for updates every day.
Actually that is a good thing.
I have suggested that ASUS do something similar.
It is difficult to keep up with the updates to all the stuff on their motherboards and it would be fantastic if they would auto-update everything without us having to worry whether or not we have the latest, and if we don't should we install them and if so how etc. etc.

Not too bad for use geeks really, but millions of people use their motherboards and have no idea what a driver is.

Just go to Control Panel > Windows Update > View update history and it should be listed