What's new

Has anyone gotten a 1TB MicroSD Card for their Surface Pros?

I'm using a 128 GB MicroSD card in my Surface Pro 4 and it seems to work plenty fast for the applications I use it with, but I have almost 800 GBs of iTunes media that's stored on an external 2TB USB drive, and using iTunes with the external drive can be a real drag. For some reason with the Surface Pro 4 I notice the lag of songs spinning up, saving edits to song info or closing iTunes and saving data, although I never noticed it using the same drive with iTunes on my Dell laptop.

I'd love to move my iTunes media to a 1TB MicroSD card and mount it in my SP4. Is anyone using a 1TB MicroSD card with their Surface Pro currently? Is it faster response than an external USB drive? What make/model are you using and what was the price?

Thanks very much!

Jesse

I'm using a 128 GB MicroSD card in my Surface Pro 4 and it seems to work plenty fast for the applications I use it with, but I have almost 800 GBs of iTunes media that's stored on an external 2TB USB drive, and using iTunes with the external drive can be a real drag. For some reason with the Surface Pro 4 I notice the lag of songs spinning up, saving edits to song info or closing iTunes and saving data, although I never noticed it using the same drive with iTunes on my Dell laptop.

I'd love to move my iTunes media to a 1TB MicroSD card and mount it in my SP4. Is anyone using a 1TB MicroSD card with their Surface Pro currently? Is it faster response than an external USB drive? What make/model are you using and what was the price?

Thanks very much!

Jesse

256GB from SanDisk is as big as micro cards get right now.

OP
J

Jesse Segovia

Thanks, everyone! How's the performance of the Sandisk and Lexar 256GB cards? Do they seem as fast as the internal SSD drives? Or maybe I'm the only one who's noticing poor performance from external USB drives?

jesse

Dblkk

Oh no. The micro SD will not be the same as internal. My internal speeds are around 300-500, my 200gb SanDisk is around 45, my 64gb SanDisk extreme is better at 80's.

Dblkk

Yea, I have a few SD extremes that hit 150s 180s. But as far as I know, in the micro SD class. The only ones that hit around 100 are very small capacity, and the larger the capacity the slower the writes.
Cards will also throttle and slow when they start to warm up, which is unlike internal storage devices. Well internal devices remain cooler, so they'll still throttle if they do get hot enough, but they don't get there as quick as chips in a very small enclosure

jrioux

Thanks, everyone! How's the performance of the Sandisk and Lexar 256GB cards? Do they seem as fast as the internal SSD drives? Or maybe I'm the only one who's noticing poor performance from external USB drives?
Have you tried a different music program than iTunes?

OP
J

Jesse Segovia

Do you recommend anything in particular? My issue is that the library takes up so much space - would a different media program alleviate that?