What's new

Has anyone tethered over bluetooth?

CrippsCorner

I'm not sure how to go about this...

Uusing wifi atm but I find it drains the battery quite badly on my iPhone as it's constantly connected even when I'm not using it.

My theory is that if I go via bluetooth, it'll only tether within range? Meaning I could leave the iPhone downstairs and it wouldn't be draining the battery. So, how to do this? I've managed to pair it... but then what? Any help appreciated.

eltos_lightfoot

I have done it, but it really didn't work as well between my iPhone and my iPad or my iPhone and MacBook Pro. It had a shorter range, and dropped more. But it was pretty easy to do. I don't have a current way to do it ( sold everything and waiting for my SP2)... What are you hoping to find out?

eltos_lightfoot

Rereading your post, it probably wouldn't be that slick. Usually Bluetooth doesn't auto reconnect when in range again. Not without intervention. What I do is plug in my iPhone the just use the wifi hotspot...

demandarin

I couldn't get bt tethering to work with lg optimus g pro and surface pro. I did get usb tethering to work. Better than no way to tether at all..lol

IM like the op, I got them paired but I couldn't get the tethering going like on my android tablets. It was frustrating so I tried the usb method and worked right away.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Yeah USB works fine... but I don't like having things plugged in where I can avoid it! It's that or the battery draining with wifi, take your pick I guess.

thanibee

I'm not sure how to go about this...

Uusing wifi atm but I find it drains the battery quite badly on my iPhone as it's constantly connected even when I'm not using it.

My theory is that if I go via bluetooth, it'll only tether within range? Meaning I could leave the iPhone downstairs and it wouldn't be draining the battery. So, how to do this? I've managed to pair it... but then what? Any help appreciated.
My BT tethering in samsung vibrant android phone using bluetooth Dun software works flawlessly.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

demandarin

I think its dependent on what phone you use also. Weird but I've seen cases like this posted on xda all the time with android tablets.