What's new

Has Microsoft lost their minds pricing accessories?

Nuspieds

What we need is for OEMs to step up to the plate and start selling true alternatives and accessories to the SP and its accessories.

Based on what I've seen thus far, I'm optimistic that will happen and we'll have an open an competitive market like we do for PCs. Until then, I still find that the Surface stands out uniquely so I continue to pay the premium price for it and its accessories.

But I definitely want to see increased competition and lower prices.

TheJokker

I think Microsoft is attempting to define the high-end market leaving room for the OEM's with low to middle range products (where the majority of sales will be). I also believe prices will fall and fall hard over the next 12 - 24 months.

revmike

"Oh it's the same ole song, but with a different beat since the Surface Pro 2 has come". I wish I could music symbols around it, oh well. The song is from the 60's Motown, The Four Tops.

oion

I think Microsoft is attempting to define the high-end market leaving room for the OEM's with low to middle range products (where the majority of sales will be). I also believe prices will fall and fall hard over the next 12 - 24 months.

That's what I figure as well. MS is better off keeping their prices on the premium for a few reasons--give OEMs room to compete more quickly, MS cannot win a race to the bottom when their manufacturing contracts and infrastructure aren't in place compared to other OEMs, and also to not piss off the manufacturers any more than they have (which isn't necessarily saying much there for accessories, but still).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Touch and Type Cover 2's are really good upgrades over the Gen 1, I tried the Touch 2 in my Gen 1 RT and I was very impressed.

chatterbot

MSFT is purposely pricing the surface too high because they don't want to piss off the OEMs. This ensures that Surface will be a failure but perhaps Surface has forced the OEMs to improve their quality thus it could be a success for MSFT overall even if the Surface fails.

Dim-Ize

Mitch - I love your threads. They are always inviting a good discussion. I often chuckle too. I genuinely value your opinion and I can see where you're coming from in this regard...

While my response my make no sense to some, it is indeed the way I have based my decision: I believe the MS product to be superior in build quality and performance for my specific needs - and I'm willing to pay a few hundred more for it.

I am not knocking Dell or Sony with their new lines. I gladly welcome the innovation and competition. I perceive the MS SP2 to be superior for how it meets my specific needs and frankly, I don't think their pricing is absurd given the build quality. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to save a few hundred and put it into other accessories or load up my Steam / MS Store account - I am just saying that I don't feel gipped by paying a higher price for the SP2 and its accessories.

CrippsCorner

MSFT is purposely pricing the surface too high because they don't want to piss off the OEMs. This ensures that Surface will be a failure but perhaps Surface has forced the OEMs to improve their quality thus it could be a success for MSFT overall even if the Surface fails.

Yes but are they doing this to try and get a lot of sales, or do they know their more pricey alternative is only ever going to be a niche product? If the latter, I guess we can't really complain. The option is there to get cheaper stuff if you want to... just from a different manufacturer. Personally, I'll continue to buy Microsoft's own stuff whatever prices they charge! (within reason)

fonzman78

Yes but are they doing this to try and get a lot of sales, or do they know their more pricey alternative is only ever going to be a niche product? If the latter, I guess we can't really complain. The option is there to get cheaper stuff if you want to... just from a different manufacturer. Personally, I'll continue to buy Microsoft's own stuff whatever prices they charge! (within reason)

I agree with kaysee. The accessories might be priced higher but I will get them regardless. I got my SPro2 today. I also splurged and got the docking station, the wireless keyboard adapter, the Type2 keyboard, and the Touch2 keyboard (discounted since I traded in my old Touch keyboard).

The total was.... high. But, as a business professional, I can absorb the cost. In my opinion, the SP1/2 is the best device for someone on the go. I'm in sales and I love that the SP fits in my messenger bag (ok, man purse). I agree that I paid a premium but none of the MS competitors has what I wanted/needed. I've said it before and I stick by it, the SP is the best form factor for business professionals on the go.