What's new

has surface 3 enticed you to skip sp3-4 ??

jrioux

We're probably expecting the impossible. The Core M is a totally different chipset that would require other design changes. It might not easily fit into the design for the Pro 3/4 or the Surface 3. It is a nice thought though and this is the approach that Apple took with the MacBook, ultraportable, PCI-e storage and Core M. Look at the price difference though. Huge.

You don't get anything for nothing but I can't help thinking that the Core M needs to be in their product line up somewhere and soon.
I think it would be reasonable for MS to offer a Core M version of the S3 with 128GB of storage for $699 - $100 more than an equivalent-spec Atom S3. Perhaps they'd need to charge $749, which would be the same price as an i3 SP3 minus the pen.

Dell offers both Atom and Core M versions of their Venue Pro 11.

InspectHerGadget

I was thinking again today about a Surface 3 for my wife but still couldn't bring myself to buy one. Basically we were running out of room but I got her onto Mail and downsized her Outlook files. 32G isn't a lot and much of it is used with system files and programs.

It seems an insult these days to offer 2G of RAM. In my book it shouldn't be an option AT ALL.

Even the cheapest Pro offers 4G and there is a good reason for that and 64G is a reasonable minimum for storage.

I see it as poor value for money, in nowhere land with a high price tag and underwhelming processor and the cheapest model is below the minimum RAM I would want in a mobile device, even some phones offer more RAM.

I could have been tempted if the base model had 4G RAM. This is important. 2G RAM was easier to swallow in RT which uses less RAM and requires no security program.

I don't expect a core M at this price point though and a Core M does add a lot to price.

The Surface 2 may as well be used until it dies as it is next to worthless for resale.

netuser

I was thinking again today about a Surface 3 for my wife but still couldn't bring myself to buy one. Basically we were running out of room but I got her onto Mail and downsized her Outlook files. 32G isn't a lot and much of it is used with system files and programs.

It seems an insult these days to offer 2G of RAM. In my book it shouldn't be an option AT ALL.

Even the cheapest Pro offers 4G and there is a good reason for that and 64G is a reasonable minimum for storage.

I see it as poor value for money, in nowhere land with a high price tag and underwhelming processor and the cheapest model is below the minimum RAM I would want in a mobile device, even some phones offer more RAM.

I could have been tempted if the base model had 4G RAM. This is important. 2G RAM was easier to swallow in RT which uses less RAM and requires no security program.

I don't expect a core M at this price point though and a Core M does add a lot to price.

The Surface 2 may as well be used until it dies as it is next to worthless for resale.

Sounds like you didn't research the specs or try the Surface 3 in a store at all.