What's new

Has your SP3 ever locked up completely?

kiwigirl

Yesterday was odd, was running OneNote the full program and it sit for about 15mins. When I came back to it, the whole screen was frozen. Couldnt touch it, nothing. Had to hold the power button for about 30 secs for it to shut down the machine. Never had any freezes ever and wondering if this is the machine or OneNote that most likely caused it.

A friend of mine told me that One Note the full program has a tendency to lock up, is this true? If so, then ill stop using it and just stick with the app.

Also, because I did a hard shut down, is the SP3 like regular computers where if you do this, you need to run a disk check on the drive and check for errors?

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately computer lockups do happen... my iPad has locked up too... and every other computer I ever had at one point or another. My MacBook locked up during the initial setup, dispelling several myths before I ever used it.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Unfortunately computer lockups do happen... my iPad has locked up too... and every other computer I ever had at one point or another. My MacBook locked up during the initial setup, dispelling several myths before I ever used it.

It has been super laggy right I did the hard shut down. Is there a way to fix this? Should I run disk check for errors?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have the Samsung SSD? If so you might need to install the firmware update in either case Disk Cleanup might help. the Event log should show disk errors if they are occurring, that would be a different issue.

Laggy in general??? Or with specific apps??? how is it in airplane mode?

macmee

The worst that's happened to my SP3 is that OneNote keeps crashing about 1/10 times I open it.

I consider this acceptable. My SP2 was a $2,000 disaster. Microsoft pretty much improved everything about the SP3 so I'm very happy with its stability.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've found that if OneNote is causing lockups or crashes it is typically related to the OneNote Cache....deleting it and allowing OneNote to re-create it has fixed it in the past.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
How to delete the cache?

By launching OneNote from either the CMD line or run command onenote.exe /safe then launch it normally afterwards, if something is missing after clearing the cache there is a backup located here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote

kristalsoldier

By launching OneNote from either the CMD line or run command onenote.exe /safe then launch it normally afterwards, if something is missing after clearing the cache there is a backup located here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote

Thanks Jeff. Much appreciated!