What's new

Have they fixed the bug where the device crashes when booting from sleep?

OP
macmee

macmee

macmee, do you mind sharing your power settings (saving I assume, with screen dimmed to 50%?? etc.) and also if you were using wifi throughout this time? thanks :)

1. minimum CPU 5%
2. hibernate 5 minutes, sleep 10 minutes (this is to prevent the tablet from going into sleep altogether, as entering sleep mode CRASHES the unit I have)
3. screen dimmed all the way
4. wifi is on, but I wasn't actively using it

I think the kicker here is the wifi. I presume in Microsoft update (in November was it?) for the wifi caused the device to use less power when there was no network activity. If I was browsing the Internet, then I also noticed the battery life Windows predicts severely declined as well, so the fact that I was mostly just reading PDFs on the device and not browsing the Internet is likely how I managed to achieve such good battery life.

Having said that though, because of the sleep crash bug, I did have to do 2 full reboots of the device, so that must of used significant power too.

pwetzil

Well, the honeymoon is over, crashed two times in 1 hour. God knows why.

Did you get a repeat of the KB2919355? I think is a revision add on to the original KB2919355, but ever since I installed that update it seems to of gone back to crashing in sleep. Ive done a system restore and it was stable again. I have since reinstalled the update as I thought maybe whatever fix was in the original update may not of been safe so they reverted it back, makes me think its a bigger hardware problem if they've purposely taken the fix away. Could just be me but can only pin it on that update causing the problem for me.

amk.

Im now sure it is a hardware problem.

I had to exchange my Surface Pro 2 because of the Sleep issue. Used mine for a couple months but it got to the point where it was just unbareable, the darn thing could ALWAYS crash if I´d remove the keyboard while sleepin or connect it or whatever.

Chatted with support, got a RMA ticket, sent the Surface to MS, 1 week later I got another SP2, this one was clearly used, with a HUGE dead (black) pixel (more like 3 or 4 of them together), and surprise surprise it had the same issue. It crashed always when using Sleep.

I contacted MS again and told them the screen had a dead pixel and that I was NOT by any means going to keep that bugged tablet, so I sent it back again.

Second tablet came with scratches (Power and USB connectors) but behold... it does sleep. I have turned it off/on about 300 times by now and not a single issue, Event Viewer shows 0 Critical errors. I really tried to make it crash spamming the power button (set to sleep) while connecting and disconnecting the Touch Cover 2 and every single time it worked. It does not turn on itself, does sleep when it should, the battery last what it should and no more ID41 error in event viewer.

So even with scratches im keeping this one, since it does work :D

kristalsoldier

1. minimum CPU 5%
2. hibernate 5 minutes, sleep 10 minutes (this is to prevent the tablet from going into sleep altogether, as entering sleep mode CRASHES the unit I have)
3. screen dimmed all the way
4. wifi is on, but I wasn't actively using it

I think the kicker here is the wifi. I presume in Microsoft update (in November was it?) for the wifi caused the device to use less power when there was no network activity. If I was browsing the Internet, then I also noticed the battery life Windows predicts severely declined as well, so the fact that I was mostly just reading PDFs on the device and not browsing the Internet is likely how I managed to achieve such good battery life.

Having said that though, because of the sleep crash bug, I did have to do 2 full reboots of the device, so that must of used significant power too.

Which browser were you using? I have noticed the same thing on the Surface 2 as well where the only browser is IE11. In the case of the Surface 2, I think it is the browser than the WIFI since I get very good battery life with WIFI on all the time (for Connected Standby, among other things, like Mail, Calendar etc.) without the browser. But as soon as use the browser the battery drain is noticeable.

Recently, I downloaded an app called RADYO (for internet music). I used that without the browser and recording a similar battery drain - well, perhaps a little lesser than when using IE11.

In many ways I think the Surface 2 (don't how this would work for the Pro-class of machines), is essentially optimized for Connected Standby - especially in terms of battery consumption. Anything more than that - in terms of connectivity - impacts the battery life. So, for example, like in your case, I could have WIFI on all the time, but be working only on Word (and OneDrive) - with its automated online back-up - and have the Surface 2 surviving a 10-hour work day very easily. But as soon as I use the browser or some app like RADYO (most recent example), then the battery takes a significant hit. Given this, I wonder if IE11 (and other internet facing apps) could be further optimized to ensure better battery management.

superpupz

Well this is crazy 7 times in the last 24 hours, I am going to have to return this definitely, what a shame, it was so good last couple of weeks.

OP
macmee

macmee

Well this is crazy 7 times in the last 24 hours, I am going to have to return this definitely, what a shame, it was so good last couple of weeks.

I gave up and went back to hibernate instead of sleep when the unit is not being used.

Quite sad about it but hey, it's better than nothing. No more crashes!

Ruudfood

I don't know if it's the same issue that is being referred to here but mine switches off completely if left charging. I don't know how long before it does it but I'll return to it, switch on and all of my previous running programs will have closed, the desktop icons will be bunched in the top left corner and Outlook starters in a window that appears to have a resolution of 800*600. It's incredibly annoying.

The other annoyance, although this doesn't seem to be linked is that PC settings will randomly lose items from its recently used list. I use it primarily to turn on Bluetooth. Why can't Windows 8 have an easier way of toggling that?

GoodBytes

I don't know if it's the same issue that is being referred to here but mine switches off completely if left charging. I don't know how long before it does it but I'll return to it, switch on and all of my previous running programs will have closed, the desktop icons will be bunched in the top left corner and Outlook starters in a window that appears to have a resolution of 800*600. It's incredibly annoying.

The other annoyance, although this doesn't seem to be linked is that PC settings will randomly lose items from its recently used list. I use it primarily to turn on Bluetooth. Why can't Windows 8 have an easier way of toggling that?

That doesn't sound right. I would reinstall the system, and if that doesn't help, I would return it and buy another one, or if you out of that period, I would go to a Microsoft Store for replacement or call and get a replacement under warranty.
The device is not supposed to turn off while charging and using it at the same time. (ie: turn off on you, like you are describing), and have the resolution change on you randomly.

Ruudfood

Thanks GoodBytes. It's a huge annoyance but doesn't do any harm. Of course I'm aware that it's not supposed to work that way but wasn't sure if it was related to the crashing that was being experienced by some.

ohioDroid

I know I'm jumping into this sort of late and kind of pulling a tldr... but I have the same issue, where when going from sleep to hibernation, my SP2 will crash. It actually went away for while, and now has started to come up again. It's inconsistent. I can have days where the SP2 works fine and days where it crashes again and again within the same day. I use a Type Cover 2 which is pretty much always attached.

Has the "solution" been to just disable sleep and go straight to hibernation? Do more people exchange their SP2s? Has anyone has more success just wiping the device? The various firmware updates have improved this issue for me (just not eliminated it) so I feel like it all comes down to software.