What's new

Having hard time to Turn ON my RT

thix84

Hi fellow RT users :)

Does any one encounter problems on turning ON your RT? I do encounter this couple of times and it just keeps on.

The problem is when I press the turn ON button as hard or smooth as I can..it doesn't turn ON.. But after a couple of tries it just Turns ON with a slight push of the button.

Do I need to reinstall my RT? This is is not consistent.. But for a week I encounter this twice.

thanks in advance

ArnoldC

From what state? If it's on standby, I don't even use the Power Button, I just press CTRL when the Touch Cover is applied. Without the Touch Cover, I press the Power Button briefly, and lightly.

bosamar

Yup, don't hold the power button down, just press and release. From a cold start it takes a few seconds to boot.

OP
T

thix84

After my RT was shutdown... there are times it is not responding when I push the power button.... regardless if I softly, slight press or hold the button, It doesn't turn ON.. at first I thought my RT is broken.. so what I did i wait for about 5 minute and try to push and release the button then it worked. (relief)

Last Saturday it happened again. :(

It my RT ok? or just need to reinstall?

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
You're not alone with this problem ;) Most of the time the switch on my Surface is working like it should, but occasionally it's a game of pure chance to hit the right amount of time to shut it down (firing up is less a problem, but when it does, it's really annoying.)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Might be a button issue and you can try a refresh but it sounds like a length of press issue. It isn't how hard or smooth but how long.

If Surface is off 3-5 second press to power on.
If Surface is on 1 second press to put in standby.
If Surface is in standby 1 second press to wake it up.
If Surface is on 5-8 second press to power off.

Last edited:
OP
T

thix84

You're not alone with this problem ;) Most of the time the switch on my Surface is working like it should, but occasionally it's a game of pure chance to hit the right amount of time to shut it down (firing up is less a problem, but when it does, it's really annoying.)

It seems like its not the software :( i think no need to reinstall .. it's the hardware...when is the last time you encounter this?