What's new

Having WiFi Connection Issues

v10type-r

Anyone experience wifi connection issues?

I am noticing that when I wake my surface up from sleep mode, it sometimes says I have "limited" connection.. and I can't connect. If I disconnect and reconnect all is good.. I am finding this to be annoying cause I do it about 3-4 times a day..

Can anyone help me out here?

OP
V

v10type-r

my home router? I have twice, but its not my router.. I've never experienced this issue with all my other wireless devices

R0bR

When I first got my Windows Phone 7 I had similar issues, none of my other devices had a problem with wireless but my phone did. However, this only happened at home. I decided to replace my Belkin router firmware with a DD-WRT version, not only did device performance improve but my phone never had an issue connecting again. How old is your router? Does it have the latest firmware?

Series7man

I was concerned about the Wifi issues but I have had none. I am using a 2Wire 3801HGV with U-Verse and I have had no problems at all. I actually walked out into my garage and was able to still have a fairly good Wifi connection with the Surface. My next adventure will be into the backyard and see how that works out.

bosamar

Make sure you've got all firmware updates to both Surface and router, then delete your router from your surface, restart the router, and re-add your router to surface.

J515OP

Super Moderator
my home router? I have twice, but its not my router.. I've never experienced this issue with all my other wireless devices

As others have already said firmware and router restart are the easiest places to start. Just because other devices are working fine does not exclude these steps as a likely solution. It is sort of like saying your car doesn't need a tune up because the tires are properly inflated.

mproudfoot

Yes, known issue - see wifi issues - Microsoft Community

I get this too, and usually remedied by disconnecting from the network in the Surface and then reconnecting. It's not your router at fault, and restarting a router to address an issue with the Surface is not an acceptable solution IMO.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yes, known issue - see wifi issues - Microsoft Community

I get this too, and usually remedied by disconnecting from the network in the Surface and then reconnecting. It's not your router at fault, and restarting a router to address an issue with the Surface is not an acceptable solution IMO.

How do you know it's not the router at fault? Have you personally inspected the network in question? If it does turn out to be the router would you feel bad for telling the person not to try it because it couldn't possibly be the problem?

R0bR specifically stated that he has had a similar issue in the past and it was a router issue that improved his overall performance and he could have missed out on that better performance for all of his devices despite that they were already working had he not tried the solution to fix one device that wasn't working.

Five minutes of effort is easily worth the potential frustrations savings and only as long as it takes to post the question and read the responses in the forum. Why wouldn't you recommend trying this as an easy first step?