What's new

HDMI / Displayport adapter issue

Max_1981

Administrator
Hi all,

I got the Mini DP to HDMI adapter for SP1 yesterday (original Microsoft). Works brillant, but there is a connector related issue. The adapter doesn't seem to sit really tight, meaning it can easily moved and removed. It's no real big deal but I guess it should sit at least a bit more firmly. I am a bit worried I messed up the connector when I accidentaly plugged in a third party adapter the wrong way round earlier this week (flat side up rather than down...). Microsoft support forums / faq give no real support with that problem though one of their answers has a similar topic which states that if you plug the adapter upside down you shall remove it an put it in the right way - not really bad suggestion but who actually would perform any different? :p ) Anyway the connector on the SP1 looks alright it just doesn't hold the adapter "Schwarzenegger" - Style....

Thanks

Max

Arizona Willie

That is the only problem with my SP1.

Chromecast worked but had way too much delay to be usable.

I got the HDMI adapter but could never get it to work.
I took the HDMI cable from one of our tv's because I considered it a known good cable but it still wouldn't work.

Not sure if the problem is with the HDMI receptacle on the bigger monitor or what.
But I tried 3 HDMI cables plugged into the adapte and NONE of them would work.
Tried to use the TV that the cable came from and it would not work, so I presume that something is wrong with the adapter or the port ... no way to tell which ... at least I don't know how.

So I gave up on using my 24" monitor with the Surface.

jeffskent

That is the only problem with my SP1.

Chromecast worked but had way too much delay to be usable.

I got the HDMI adapter but could never get it to work.
I took the HDMI cable from one of our tv's because I considered it a known good cable but it still wouldn't work.

Not sure if the problem is with the HDMI receptacle on the bigger monitor or what.
But I tried 3 HDMI cables plugged into the adapte and NONE of them would work.
Tried to use the TV that the cable came from and it would not work, so I presume that something is wrong with the adapter or the port ... no way to tell which ... at least I don't know how.

So I gave up on using my 24" monitor with the Surface.

I've had issues also, off and on, with the hdmi to the mini display port adaptors for the last couple of years. I've settled on a big white adaptor I got at Frys or over the net, which works flawlessly on either of my 27" monitors, so it can be done if the port itself isn't messed up. If I had your issue, I would take the SP into a local private Apple store and ask to try the hdmi to mDP adaptor before I bought it. They should be able to hook it up and show you it works in a few minutes, after which you buy the adaptor and everyone is happy. If the port itself is messed up this too will be apparent.

OP
M

Max_1981

Administrator
Actually the issue I have with the original Microsoft adapter is that it doesn't sit very tight in the mini displayport interface. I have no problems connecting an external display. It all just feels a little shabby (if one can say so) - too shabby in my opinion considering the price of both the SP and the somewhat expensive adapter (rip-off?).

Thanks

Max

Nuspieds

I travel with a mini DP-to-HDMI cable so that I can connect my SP2 to the hotel TVs. The cable I used for the longest while was one from Cable Matters that I got from Amazon. Recently, I was at a same hotel brand in another city, but I kept on getting "No Signal" on the TV when my SP2 was connected.

I thought for sure it was the TV but I remembered running into an issue a while back where I had to a traditional HDMI cable attached to an HDMI-to-mini DP adapter in order to get my SP2 connected to the hotel TV. So I decided to try another brand of mini DP-to-HDMI cable and this time I purchased the Belkin model and, sure enough, it worked!

So, there was nothing wrong with the hotel TV after all; rather, it was the cable that was the culprit--even though I had been successfully using it for months. What's also interesting is that there were times within the same hotel (i.e., different room, but exact same TV) where I also ran into the "No Signal" issue. Especially because it was the same hotel and same TV model, for sure I thought the problem was due to their TV in that particular room.

But it just goes to show you that really can never just dismiss that the cable is the problem and you should always try another brand/model while you are troubleshooting.