What's new

HDMI in/Optical out

CrippsCorner

Looking for solutions for getting audio from my Surface to my amplifier. At the moment I'm using the headphone jack, and it works fine... but you know, it just doesn't look great stuck out there, so I'd love something that looked better.

At first I was convinced that HDMI into my monitor followed by phono out would be the answer, but alas, my phono on the monitor is only an input! Why anyone would want that usage is beyond me...

Anyway, I noticed the only output was optical. I've never used this, but basically my question is... is it going to work from HDMI to HDMI, then Optical to digital/analogue converter to phono
excited.png
phew.

Does that make sense?

gangolfus

What inputs does your amplifier have on it?

Have you considered a bluetooth receiver for your amplifier? No cables.

Lolvo

I may be missing the point here kayzee, but wouldn't it be simpler and more effective just to use the audio jack? You're going to have a cable protruding regardless of which route you take, no?

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

What inputs does your amplifier have on it?

Have you considered a bluetooth receiver for your amplifier? No cables.

Phono only. I never knew such a thing existed that I could connect to an amplifier... you can get one with a phono or jack connector then? Also I imagine the sound quality might deteriorate a bit.

I may be missing the point here kayzee, but wouldn't it be simpler and more effective just to use the audio jack? You're going to have a cable protruding regardless of which route you take, no?

Well, ultimately I'm always after the solution for the least amount of cables. I already have HDMI for visual, so if I can use my audio through that too... bonus! Yes I need a cable going from my Surface/monitor to my amplifier, but it's one less thing actually plugged into the Surface, which makes docking/undocking that little bit quicker :)

I have an apple tv hooked to a home theater and just stream from itunes.

There seems to be two versions of this... the silver one looks like it has a phono connection which could work. I don't know much else about Apple TV tbh, does it have WiFi built in?

bertopl

There seems to be two versions of this... the silver one looks like it has a phono connection which could work. I don't know much else about Apple TV tbh, does it have WiFi built in?

yes, it has built in wifi but I use a wired connection to my router. apple tv uses airplay so any itunes / idevice can stream to an apple tv on the network, no setups. apple tv is connected to an hdmi switching receiver carrying the audio and video then out to the tv. sounds decent to my ears. less than 100 bux made it an impulse buy for me.

Lolvo

The cheapest no wire solution is the bluetooth audio receiver option. There are dozens on the market with a varying price range. See here to get started: Amazon.com: bluetooth audio receiver Bluetooth is digital so there shouldn't be any loss in audio quality.

These look like some of the best options. I like that most are 3.5mm compatible; however, sometimes the audio system you are using doesn't have a 3.5mm female port accessible, but instead has a 3.5mm male cable extending from it - do you know of any Bluetooth receiver that has a male 3.5 option and a female 3.5 option?

Edit: Actually, this Logitech receiver looks as if it can do both. It comes with a 3.5mm cable, and is a female port with an attachable double-sided male cable. This looks like the best bet for someone like me, definitely going to pick it up. I'm hoping that it does not require constant power to operate, and that the battery holds a long charge.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wire...6683&sr=8-2&keywords=bluetooth+audio+receiver

Last edited:

gangolfus

Lolvo - That device does not have a battery and requires constant power. Most of these devices are that way. If it is going to sit on top of your amplifier, which I assume is also plugged in, what does it matter?

Lolvo

Lolvo - That device does not have a battery and requires constant power. Most of these devices are that way. If it is going to sit on top of your amplifier, which I assume is also plugged in, what does it matter?

It would be more convenient to travel with and use that way, but I suppose I expect too much. Some audio systems, especially home systems, typically don't have a power outlet that is available and close to the system. They're either hidden away behind furniture, or are occupied by the audio system and accompanying entertainment. If that makes sense to you?