What's new

HDMI Not Working on RT?

cheath

I am having trouble getting HDMI to work. I used it initially to test functionality and had no issues. But it hasn't worked since. I've tried multiple cables and different TVs with nothing. I can plug BB Playbook in on same setup with no issues. I can't really find any setting in control panel other than "adjust commonly used items" under hardware and display which has absolutely nothing for hdmi. Is there something im missing? I do not have MS OEM cable, but my cable worked initially. I have not done a reset and hoping to avoid if possible. Any suggestions?

leeshor

Some TVs may not auto-sense the connection. That would require manually changing the input on the TV. Worth a try. Also you may want to try restarting your Surface, possibly even with the cable attached.

OP
C

cheath

hjbhjbn

When I say not working, I mean I can't even get signal from Surface. Surface does not even recognize I have plugged in HDMI cable. If I was taking an uneducated guess, I would say my HDMI output is bad. But I want to see if anybody else has had same problem and try a few things before I reset and or return. It worked when I got unit without any problems, but tried over holidays on parents tv and wouldn't work.
I can plug HDMI cable into my Playbook and works great and I have tried two different cables. I plug into Surface and all I get is "No Signal" screen on tv. I've tried 3 different tvs, one of which Surface worked with when I initially got unit. I get nothing as far as setting mirror, 2nd screen, etc. Only way I can get to these settings is in Hardware and Sound; commonly used mobility settings. It never recognizes a tv. I have already tried turning Surface off and on again with cable connected as previously mentioned with no better results. I really don't want to reset unit, but that is my next step if nobody has any other ideas. I thought it may be a setting but have found no other settings that are associated with HDMI. Thank you in advance. And yes, I checked to make sure plug was clean on Surface and HDMI cable.

Last edited:

R0bR

When you have the HDMI plugged in and to the TV does the Surface show dual monitors in the Display Properties or just the single for the Surface?

OP
C

cheath

It's only seeing Surface monitor. It doesn't recognize that I even have another plugged in. No chime or anything.

OP
C

cheath

I found resolution from a member on wpcentral. It was a complete oversight on my part and I'm kind of embarrassed. I thought I was using original cable when in fact my dad had "borrowed" mine and left me his. The one he left wouldn't work on his Surface either and it was the one I was primarily testing. Turns out it was just the angle where hdmi port is preventing the cable from going in far enough to make connection. I thought that was how far it always stuck out as I assumed it was my original cable and the other cables I tried had same issue. Filed plastic down on front side and worked just fine. I'm just glad it was an easy fix. Thanks again.

clehmann

Let me add a twist to this. I can play video fine on my TV using an HDMI cable (which I bought for my Droid Razr) to connect my Surface to my TV, but the sound plays only on the Surface. How do I get the sound onto the (much more powerful) TV speakers?