What's new

HDMI splitting

Omni

As many of you know I have a Surface 2 which I love. I was just wondering if I can run two HDMI monitors from the S2? I know its possible from the SPro. I looking at getting 2 Asus VN247H monitors but if I can only run one from the S2 I'll just get one. Also I know performance could be a issue and know I'll likely need an adapter or something.

surfdock

It is not possible to have two distinct HDMI outputs from the Surface 2. Also, USB docking stations are not currently supported on Windows RT based systems. You can use an HDMI repeater to have any number of HDMI monitors display the exact same image though. I understand the Surface 2 also supports Miracast wireless display. I'm not sure if you can have a hardwired HDMI monitor and a Miracast connection running simultaneously. I doubt it, but I'll find out for sure and reply back.

Last edited:
OP
Omni

Omni

Thanks for reply I guessed as much after I got no replies :). Thanks would be good to know as I have a Miracast adapter on its way soon.

surfdock

Confirmed on a Surface 2 device today that you cannot have triple monitor setup :(

When you connect the miracast display, the HDMI display is disabled and vice versa. You also cannot disable the internal LCD panel and run dual display with HDMI+Miracast. I'm going to try to find out if this is a Windows RT OS limitation or an NVIDIA Tegra driver limitation.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Confirmed on a Surface 2 device today that you cannot have triple monitor setup :(

When you connect the miracast display, the HDMI display is disabled and vice versa. You also cannot disable the internal LCD panel and run dual display with HDMI+Miracast. I'm going to try to find out if this is a Windows RT OS limitation or an NVIDIA Tegra driver limitation.

I have never been able to get physical HDMI and any Wireless HDMI Technology to work at the same time (WiDi or Miracast). I think it is a limitation HDCP...

surfdock

I haven't seen it personally, but I got confirmation from a colleague that having simultaneous Miracast and HDMI in extended mode/triple monitors on a Surface Pro 2 does work. There might be some specific step in the order in which you add devices, I'm not sure.

I wasn't able to get it working on a Surface Pro, possibly due to a flaky Miracast sink device, but we think it might be possible with latest Intel drivers. I'll try to get it running and post a picture if I succeed.