What's new

Solved Headphone Jack Not Working

ChrisMuller

Has anyone had any problems with the 3.5mm headphone jack that just stops working? It was working fine and then opne day it just stopped. I can't figure out what the issues is.

warranty guy

I had the same problem. After a call to Surface Technical support, it was determined that I had a bad audio port and needed to return the device for repair. I had to return my daughter's for that reason and MS refused to repair when they saw cosmetic scratches on the back of the device.

So if you haven't managed to get a scratch on it yet you need to call Surface Support and get it returned before you get it scratched. Having purchased 3 RTs for children, I'm out of luck in ever getting a warranty repair because kids scratch things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ

Warranty Guy --

I am so glad that your C&P button is still working. I was afraid you had already worn it out.

Be well,
Russ

warranty guy

Sorry about that I wanted to keep the warranty in my paste buffer but failed to notice that there was also other text. I wish there was an easier way to let others know about the warranty policy because it's a painful lesson to learn. I have 3 RTs and a Pro, if I someone had told me about the warranty I probably would not have bought RTs for the kids. They are not careful enough not to get scratches on a device. I like Windows 8 and the Surface devices, I just regret MS is saddling them with such a horrible warranty policy. Apple will not repair cosmetic damages with their warranty but they don't void your warranty on other defects with the device if you have cosmetic scratches on the device. Can you imagine purchasing an automobile and the engine failing after a couple of months and you taking it in for warranty repair and the dealer saying tough luck you have no warranty because we found a scratch on your left fender. The cost of the RT and cover were $800.00 and to charge $300.00 to repair a defective audio port is extreme and unethical.

I'll try to stay away from C&P. You seem to be pretty observant, do you know if there are any other vendors with this type of warranty policy?

warranty guy

It's the standard 1 year warranty you get when you purchase the device. Surface support advises that you read the warranty policy on the Surface support web site. I think for the tablet that's the only place it's available. Hopefully the extended warranty is better because if that is the case then I would advise all to pay for the extended warranty because it could be cheaper than $300 for an out of warranty repair.

Russ

Warranty Guy --

1. re: "Sorry about that I wanted to keep the warranty in my paste buffer . . .." -- Wow! What a remarkable coincidence. It must be serendipity. You just came here to save us from ourselves. My, my, how lucky we are.

2. re: "You seem to be pretty observant . . ." -- Down here in the Backward South, we call that "chumming."

Y'all take care, y'heah,

Russ

Last edited:

MikeyT

I have the same issue with mine. I've had the problem for a long time, but sometimes it will work for a week or so, then stop again. It's definitely a loose connection.

I've been holding off sending it back because I use it for work and to be without it would be problematic. A while ago MS offered the advanced exchange (they send you a new one, then you send yours back) but they stopped it a few days before I decided just I wanted a replacement... I'm hoping it comes back soon.

wilbur4321

Has anyone had any problems with the 3.5mm headphone jack that just stops working? It was working fine and then opne day it just stopped. I can't figure out what the issues is.

Had the same issue here. The girlfriend drives by an MS store on the way to work, and they swapped it out no problems at all.

--randy

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8

MikeyT

I checked the service website and the advanced exchange is back! So i've requested a replacement now. Hopefully the new one has no problems.

LizH

Sound probem and warranty

I seem to have the same problem as mentioned above. One day the surface woulnd't detect the external speakers (from the headphone jack). When I plug in the speakers, the sound just keeps coming out of the surface pro and does not come out of the external speakers.

I have done all the troubleshooting recommended - even rebooting and uninstalling everything and reinstalling it.

I fera that it might be a problem with the hardware - the jack.

I bought the surface in the US in January (at Best Buy) but I live in France. SO my surface is still under warranty, but do I have to return it the US? Does anyone know what to do in cases like this?

No a happy bunny. Not very impressed with my surface pro! :(