What's new

"headphones or speakers aren't plugged in?"

PaoBit

Sometimes the audio cuts out and the mic icon on the bottom right corner has a red "x" on it. I simply thought I kept pressing mute or something but actually it says that my headphones or speakers aren't plugged in? The only way I can get volume back is by doing restart. It's been happening a couple times now to the point where it gets annoying. Anyone been experiencing the same issues?

Niterider4

I haven't had that issue, but I have had the issue where my headphones are plugged in but the SB plays the audio from its speakers instead. It knows the headphones are plugged in, but somehow doesn't switch over to them for playback. I have to fart around in the sound card settings turning things on and off to get the sound to play through the headphones.

EDIT: I had this same issue on a SP3 as well.

OP
P

PaoBit

Sorry about that annoyance. Sounds like a software issue and I can see a fix for that. I just hope my speakers aren't actually being "unplugged" and it is more of a software issue than anything else.

Nuspieds

Sometimes the audio cuts out and the mic icon on the bottom right corner has a red "x" on it. I simply thought I kept pressing mute or something but actually it says that my headphones or speakers aren't plugged in? The only way I can get volume back is by doing restart. It's been happening a couple times now to the point where it gets annoying. Anyone been experiencing the same issues?
Windows 8 used to do this to me frequently on my SP2 when switching to/from my USB "docked" state, which had speakers connected. So when I "undocked," it would still be sending output to the USB speakers; and when I "docked," it would still send output to the SP2 speaker.

When this happened, though, I didn't have to reboot. I just went to the Audio Settings > Playback devices and selected the right output device. Try that and see if it works for you rather than rebooting.

OP
P

PaoBit

Thing is I don't have any speakers/headphones/audio devices plugged in at all and am still getting that error? I get no audio output whatsoever, But I'll give it a shot next time it happens.

Mike007

I'm having this issue with my pro 4 i7.
Seems to happen when skipping forward or back in music tracks and occasionally when watching videos on YouTube.
You can disable the Realtek device in device manager and then re-enable and the sound will come back.