What's new

Solved headset mic is not being correctly recognized

Chris42

I own a sentey reverb x headset/mic. The headset works correctly, but the mic is not being picked up. I have attempted both solo in the audio jack as well as through a splitter. It seems to recognize the mic as a line out headset when it is plugged in with out the splitter. When going through the splitter it just says that there is not a mic plugged in. Not sure how to get the surface to recognize it as a line in. The headphones work fine when going through both splitter and standard audio jack

talon90

Not sure which version of the Surface you have but on the SP3 the 3.5mm audio jack (headphone jack) is audio out only. Unlike many tablets or phones today with a 3.5mm auxiliary jack, the SP3 (and presumably the SP2) is not equipped to accept a microphone. So, nothing wrong with your headset, it's just that the tablet doesn't know what to do with the extra ring on your plug for the microphone. You'll need to look for a USB adapter to use the microphone.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Actually the SP3 does support both Playback and Recording through the 3.5mm, I've used the kind that one would use with a smartphone to make Lync and Skype Calls

upload_2015-1-28_12-10-44.png

upload_2015-1-28_12-11-29.png

upload_2015-1-28_12-12-4.png

Make sure it is set has the default when plugged in...

talon90

Thank you for that correction. I hadn't found anything to support that functionality prior to your post. Very much appreciated.

OP
C

Chris42

Thanks for the post.
Whenever I plug the mic in it is still being recognized as a headset and I am still getting a "not plugged in" under recording

OP
C

Chris42

Only other headset ones. I think the issue is the TRS vs TRRS. I ordered an adapter on Ebay so I am hoping that can solve the issue

talon90

Chris,

Just to give you another data point (thanks to jnjroach's input) I pulled out one of my iPhone headsets to try and yes, it detects and switches automatically to the headset input. Now, the difference being in this case the 3 ring 3.5mm plug vs. your headset with two separate inputs (one for headphones and one for mic). It could be coming down to the adapter that you are using. In order to separate the speakers from the mic the plug is different on a headset with mic vs. a headset without a mic. As you noted, TRS vs TRRS. Hopefully the new adapter you have coming will solve the issue. Something that looks like this one should do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...sr=8-1&keywords=headphone+and+mic+3.5+adapter