What's new

Headset with remote control (play/pause & volume).

erix

Hi Guys,

Just purchased a Surface RT 32Gb and very happy about it.
Except that there is one thing that I could do with my iPad Mini and cannot do with my Surface RT at the moment.

Indeed, I could utilise my iPhone headset and use it on my iPad Mini to play/pause (music or movies) and also control the volume.
Naturally, I tried my iPhone headset on my Surface, but unsuccessfully. I looked for information or driver available, but nothing so far.

Do you know if it's possible to use iPhone headset remote control on the Surface? Or do you know any other headsets with remote control that would work on the Surface?

Cheers,

Padron26

I don't think it is possible yet to have all the controls like skipping. the closest thing I found was Bluetooth headphones. I got 2 pairs of the Jaybird bluebuds, the sound quality is better than a lot of the wired headsets they are a bit pricey. but they sound good, last 7-8 hours and it only takes 2-2 1/2 hours to charge.

I did find these but they are on the lower end, ive seen nicer ones at local home audio shops.

Inland 87050 Dynamic Stereo Headphones, Stereo Headphones with Volume Control, PC Headphones with Microphone, Lightweight Stereo Headphones

herschko

I don't think it is possible yet to have all the controls like skipping. the closest thing I found was Bluetooth headphones. I got 2 pairs of the Jaybird bluebuds, the sound quality is better than a lot of the wired headsets they are a bit pricey. but they sound good, last 7-8 hours and it only takes 2-2 1/2 hours to charge.

I did find these but they are on the lower end, ive seen nicer ones at local home audio shops.

Inland 87050 Dynamic Stereo Headphones, Stereo Headphones with Volume Control, PC Headphones with Microphone, Lightweight Stereo Headphones

I bought a pair of jaybird wireless buds..freedom spirit. These aren't the same exact ones that you have. I have not been able to get them to connect to the SP. It hasn't recognized them. Were you able to connect them? I can easily connect to my Nokia Lumia 928.

herschko

What headset? Whats the make and model?

Freedom Sprint by Jaybirds. I had typed Spirit instead of Sprint in the previous post. I like them a lot with my Nokia Lumia 928 so far. But i'd like them to also connect to the SP. I didn't want to spend the extra money on the Jaybirds Bluebuds X but I will try to exchange them and pay the extra money if its only those that are compatible with the SP or Windows8. I think the only difference was a near doubling in battery life...but I need to check on that.

OP
E

erix

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your answers.
I am going to have a look at the headsets you have mentioned.

Cheers,

Padron26

Hershko
That's the first pair of jaybirds that I've had, yeah I had no problem pairing them with the SP or any other device. Just try restarting your surface and with it
Looking for a new device, long press on the jaybirds so its in discovery mode.

Only problem that I have, is having 2 of the same exact Bluetooth headphones and getting them to connect to any of my devices. Cause they are named the same exact name I've had to repair a pair once or twice.
I'm gonna look into renaming a set just so I don't have this small problem again.

OP
E

erix

Hi All,

I have purchased a pair of JayBird BlueBuds.
The remote works very well.
Only small drawback on the Surface, there is no way to know the battery level oppositely as on the iPhone.
Nevertheless, it is what I was looking for and pretty glad to have a bluetooth headset for the first time.

Thanks for your advices,

herschko

Hershko
That's the first pair of jaybirds that I've had, yeah I had no problem pairing them with the SP or any other device. Just try restarting your surface and with it
Looking for a new device, long press on the jaybirds so its in discovery mode.

Only problem that I have, is having 2 of the same exact Bluetooth headphones and getting them to connect to any of my devices. Cause they are named the same exact name I've had to repair a pair once or twice.
I'm gonna look into renaming a set just so I don't have this small problem again.

Thanks. When you said long press I tried again pressing for a long time and it worked. I am still thinking about making the return and getting the blue birds. Do you know if the range is any longer with those? These don't quite reach where I would like to go with them at my current work...and where my computer is. I could always change that though...or use the phone for music in that case.

Padron26

Yeah when you long press, it sets the device into discovery mode. Pretty much for all Bluetooth devices.

I got terrible distance with the bluebirds maybe 5-10 feet. I get 25-30 feet + with the bluebuds, plus you will have a nice noticeable sound quality increase with the bluebuds.

beman39

I have a pair of creative WP-300 and they sound fantastic (best and clearest bass I have ever heard) BT headphone I have ever had! and all the control functions work too and if you can find em they're pretty cheap too!

EMINENT

Jaybird Bluebuds X

Best Bluetooth headphones on the market. I use them for working out. It's comical seeing people with those big Beats looking like Princess Leia in the gym.

Awesome.