What's new

Hearthstone Lag

AegisValour

So I just got my SP3 i5 128gb with the intention of using for school and media consumption and at most Hearthstone. I noticed the fan gets loud and the unit gets hot when I play it, which is to be expected. However I notice my frame rate also drops at a noticeable rate but not unplayable. I run the game full screen on 1920x1440 low settings. I've also experienced the unit heating up and becoming loud while watching videos streamed from a site but I haven't been able to recreate it.

So I was wondering if this was normal or is there something wrong with my unit.

Thanks.

*Note besides the videos and Hearthstone, I have not tested anything else, though I'm not sure what else I could test.

ctitanic

So I just got my SP3 i5 128gb with the intention of using for school and media consumption and at most Hearthstone. I noticed the fan gets loud and the unit gets hot when I play it, which is to be expected. However I notice my frame rate also drops at a noticeable rate but not unplayable. I run the game full screen on 1920x1440 low settings. I've also experienced the unit heating up and becoming loud while watching videos streamed from a site but I haven't been able to recreate it.

So I was wondering if this was normal or is there something wrong with my unit.

Thanks.

*Note besides the videos and Hearthstone, I have not tested anything else, though I'm not sure what else I could test.
Yes, it's normal for this machine which cooling system was minimized to fit in the thinner Wintablet available in the market.

ipaq_101

Any gaming that isn't Mahjong or Solitaire will at some point trigger the fan.

As far as video playback or streaming, I haven't noticed the fan turn on, unless it's due to Flash.

megatronium

Any gaming that isn't Mahjong or Solitaire will at some point trigger the fan.

As far as video playback or streaming, I haven't noticed the fan turn on, unless it's due to Flash.

Yep HD Flash at full screen triggers fan for me also. Other video doesn't.

ipaq_101

Yep HD Flash at full screen triggers fan for me also. Other video doesn't.

Adobe Flash Player is known to be a resource hog, I have tested Flash videos on my other laptops and the same thing happens, the CPU usage spikes along with the temperature.

So AegisValour please don't think it's a SP3 issue, I avoid Flash as much as I can for that reason.

I've noticed that Hearthstone runs much better with the newer Intel drivers (3960). Smooth at 1920x1440 (low) and temps stay in the 60s without the fan going completely nuts.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Adobe Flash Player is known to be a resource hog, I have tested Flash videos on my other laptops and the same thing happens, the CPU usage spikes along with the temperature.

So AegisValour please don't think it's a SP3 issue, I avoid Flash as much as I can for that reason.
Thus the reason iPads don't do Flash.