What's new

Heat shutdown on RT

pwaggs

We finally have some spring weather in DC this week and I got my Surface RT outside for the first time really since purchasing it last fall. Anyway, after a half an hour of use in the sun, the RT beeped, the screen went black and then a white stylized thermometer appeared for a few seconds before the screen went dark again. I could not turn the unit on until I left it inside for about twenty minutes allowing the unit to cool down. Anyway, that is the first time that has happened to me. I'll keep an Eye on it going forward.

Omni

Direct sun light is not recommended for any device so Im not really that surprised by this.

kristalsoldier

We finally have some spring weather in DC this week and I got my Surface RT outside for the first time really since purchasing it last fall. Anyway, after a half an hour of use in the sun, the RT beeped, the screen went black and then a white stylized thermometer appeared for a few seconds before the screen went dark again. I could not turn the unit on until I left it inside for about twenty minutes allowing the unit to cool down. Anyway, that is the first time that has happened to me. I'll keep an Eye on it going forward.

Woah! How warm was it outside? That should not happen unless you are in the Sahara or someplace like that!

eeisner

have had the problem once before... granted I live in Tucson and we get a lot of sun and heat. Learned fairly quickly that having the Surface in direct sun on any kind of table that gets hot itself isnt the best idea.

kristalsoldier

Ummm...good to know! While till recently I lived in a tropical country, I never did use my devices in direct sunlight - though I did use them outdoors on hot sultry afternoons, while sipping...well...let's leave that part out. Never happened to me - thankfully! The device was the Acer A500 which had a metal body. The device used to get warm though!

ArnoldC

When I'm on the road, I often leave my Surface RT in sleep mode in the trunk of my car and when I come back, it has shutdown due to heat. I am comforted by the fact it does that.

spudslatte

Same here - mine did it today after about 30 mins (80 degrees in some sunlight) - I welcome this feature over plunking down another $500 for sure

OP
P

pwaggs

When I'm on the road, I often leave my Surface RT in sleep mode in the trunk of my car and when I come back, it has shutdown due to heat. I am comforted by the fact it does that.

Arnold I was going to ask you about your experience with heat. I get to your neck of the woods a few times a year generally and I know that your springs are significantly warmer than ours in DC. So I am comforted that you have seen this behavior.

ArnoldC

Arnold I was going to ask you about your experience with heat. I get to your neck of the woods a few times a year generally and I know that your springs are significantly warmer than ours in DC. So I am comforted that you have seen this behavior.

Yesterday may car was showing outside temperature of 32°C.

I was at Acuaverde Beach Resort last weekend for the Nestea Beach Volleyball and the RT shuts down everytime I get back to copy photos. I don't have to shut it down manually anymore.