What's new

Heavy-Handed Critique of Surface RT

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The funny part with PT is that now that he has used RT 8.1 he has ever so slightly softened his disdain for RT, but the bottom line for his type of PC users (Gamer and Enthusiast of the I need more power realm) will never truly be happy in a closed system that has the moniker of Windows. If MS called it RT not Windows RT he would be less over the top as he has a very defined image of what Windows is or is not....

I also get the vibe that he needs to be overly tough on MS to keep is independent press reporting on Microsoft cred in tact so not to appear as a propaganda arm for the Evil Empire...

machistmo

Well and god forbid he say anything positive when the market just 1,2 K.O.'d the RT. I mean everyone is trying to distance themselves from it right now. Its the $900 Million Dollar Write-Down Gorilla in the room.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Well and god forbid he say anything positive when the market just 1,2 K.O.'d the RT. I mean everyone is trying to distance themselves from it right now. Its the $900 Million Dollar Write-Down Gorilla in the room.

You really don't understand what the write off is about do you? The market is responding much more positively at the new price and for those of us who like RT Microsoft is committed to the platform even if the other OEMs back away.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I agree with Jeff here. That $900 million figure depicted in the MS balance sheets as a "write off" is nothing less than a strategic investment. In fact, it may be worthwhile to consider it MS's "opportunity cost" for (1) entering into the global tablet market (late!) AND (2) for Win RT, which is a OS that while genealogically related to Win 8, is also profoundly different from it in terms of vision and objectives.

I just wonder how much tax, if any, MS saved by writing off that amount. More to the point, it is not a net loss for MS - like in the case of the Kin. This is something to remember because in the latter case, MS exited the market. In the case of the Surface, it shows MS readjusting itself and responding to market conditions.

Last edited:

pallentx

Lol!!! Yes, indeed! But in a pointed response to his "My response is that 20 years of writing about technology and pretty extensive experience testing a wide range of Windows 8/RT hardware sets me up to understand this topic pretty well: Windows RT in general, and Surface RT specially, is not worth the investment. It’s like throwing money away", I would have to retort, "20 years of experience using technology as an enabler - both for work and for play - sets me up in a position to assert that the Surface RT is indeed worth the investment and is serving me and my needs very well."
Yes. Calling it "not worth the investment" is just silly. I paid the same for my RT as I paid for my iPad and I get MUCH more use out of the RT. How can you tell me that was a bad investment? A lot of people have a hard time understanding that other people have different needs and usage. All the iPad people scoff - OMG, no apps! But, even on the iPad, I was not a big app user. I had a few games and 3-4 apps I actually used regularly. I have found everything I need on the Surface.

machistmo

You really don't understand what the write off is about do you? The market is responding much more positively at the new price and for those of us who like RT Microsoft is committed to the platform even if the other OEMs back away.

Oh my....Inflated earnings going forward may be good for the stock but that doesnt mean that the RT was any less of a FLOP. And thats what it is...

I wanted the Surface RT for our field users but I could not, for the LIFE OF ME, get any traction in meetings. I was literally being laughed out of the room and so gave up on the entire idea. We now have the equally failing ThinkPad Tablet2 devices that no one seems to be using at all going up against iPad's that noone will say anything bad about because even if they dont use them in their daily duties, they love them for watching movies and playing games on after work. Paul T said it best when he said "There is just no reason anyone needs an RT right now" or something to that direct effect.... and he is right... there are better options in every aspect right now.

Last edited: