What's new

Heavy-Handed Critique of Surface RT

kristalsoldier

Came across this today - http://winsupersite.com/windows-rt/surface-rt-350-time-buy

This is Paul Thurrott going ballistic on the Surface RT. While I may critically engage with (and in the process deconstruct) his observations in detail a little later, at this point, I will restrict myself to the observation that I have been reading Thurrott's site for sometime now. I have found that over the years his comments have become increasingly caustic and often - like in this instance - arrogant and domineering. Suffice it to say that while he may have 20-odd years of experience writing about technology in general and MS matters in particular, I have an equal amount of experience in using technology - and my usage puts food on my table. Thus, if I am to match his arrogance, I would have to say that I am equally qualified to say that Thurrott is wrong and worse, he is intent on shoving down his world-view on others. Of course, YMMV.

quadtronix

Just read the article... Thanks for sharing it. The only thing I can agree with him on is that Haswell will indeed be better (although may cost a lot more...) but I don't think it's going to make ARM and Atom completely obsolete. I agree with KristalSoldier, the author of this article comes across as completely arrogant. The article itself offends me. If he hates the Surface so much why did he buy one? And if he didn't buy it but rather got a review unit then why does he care so much? It doesn't make sense to me! The worst part is when he says towards the end that he's not interested in feedback from Surface RT defenders and that they are wrong! How very closed minded and opinionated and other words not appropriate for the forum!

Edit: I also wanted to add that I will not be wasting my time commenting on his site as his mind is already made up. Pointless to match wits with an opponent who is unarmed!

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
He co-host's Windows Weekly on TWiT.TV with Mary Jo Foley, and let's be honest he is an old school Windows Guy, PC Gamer and Tech Pundit. He wants x86 Windows with huge amounts of Horsepower and RAM. He uses a desktop replacement Laptop. Mary Jo and him really disagree with on the RT.

Over all he is good, but he doesn't like the RT but loves the Windows Phone....

tonyz3

Came across this today - http://winsupersite.com/windows-rt/surface-rt-350-time-buy

This is Paul Thurrott going ballistic on the Surface RT. While I may critically engage with (and in the process deconstruct) his observations in detail a little later, at this point, I will restrict myself to the observation that I have been reading Thurrott's site for sometime now. I have found that over the years his comments have become increasingly caustic and often - like in this instance - arrogant and domineering. Suffice it to say that while he may have 20-odd years of experience writing about technology in general and MS matters in particular, I have an equal amount of experience in using technology - and my usage puts food on my table. Thus, if I am to match his arrogance, I would have to say that I am equally qualified to say that Thurrott is wrong and worse, he is intent on shoving down his world-view on others. Of course, YMMV.
Dang what do you REALLY think about him...:nerd: Seriously, I was thinking the same thing as you recently. ?He is really becoming a stick in the mud. I was disappointed in this article. but he does have the right to an opinion- and we have a right not to agree.
One thing that I really don't like that he does often- when referring to a story that just came out he always has to say that " I wrote about this already or I predicted this already in this article--link" he is becoming arrogant

Last edited:
OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

He co-host's Windows Weekly on TWiT.TV with Mary Jo Foley, and let's be honest he is an old school Windows Guy, PC Gamer and Tech Pundit. He wants x86 Windows with huge amounts of Horsepower and RAM. He uses a desktop replacement Laptop. Mary Jo and him really disagree with on the RT.

Over all he is good, but he doesn't like the RT but loves the Windows Phone....

That he may be, but his being old-school does not mean - as a(n) (allegedly) respected tech analyst - to pour out garbage - indeed, discount the expectations of users etc. As I understand it, a tech analyst needs to inform users of the pros and cons of platforms/ services etc. He may certainly have his opinion, but that is restricted to his own usage and need-profile. He can't universalize his opinion on the basis that - in his own words - he has 20-odd years of experience. That said, its pointless to engage with a boor like him. More power to him and his "old-school ways".

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Dang what do you REALLY think about him...:nerd: Seriously, I was thinking the same thing as you recently. ?He is really becoming a stick in the mud. I was disappointed in this article. but he does have the right to an opinion- and we have a right not to agree.
One thing that I really don't like that he does often- when referring to a story that just came out he always has to say that " I wrote about this already or I predicted this already in this article--link" he is becoming arrogant

Sure he has a right to his opinion and we have the right to disagree - respectfully. However, what he does not have the right to do is to insist that his opinion (which, incidentally, he considers is more than an opinion given his "20-odd years of experience") is a fact. He needs a reality check! That said, as a I posted in response to Jeff's post above, it is pointless to argue with people like that.

Lolvo

A lot of people share the same misconception of reality that he does. Happily, it provides entertainment for me.

Delusions of Grandeur anyone?!

I for one enjoy my RT.

Last edited:

Jglnaz372

I have seen Paul T on some of the TWIT shows and he has opinions you will not sway. I also see a red flag when someone needs to tell me their résumé (in his case the 20 years tech experience) before bashing something. I agree with other postings here that it is waste of time to argue with their type. They are set in their ways, period. I found RT to be fine for my computing needs and I have no need for the full Windows program. In the beginning I had doubts it could work for me until I used it over time. But I also realize some need a more powerful OS to do their jobs and certain programs, games, etc. To each their own I always say. Bashing something because it does not fit your needs is just ignorant.

pallentx

I seriously don't understand the complaints people have about how underpowered the Surface RT is. It works great for me. Its not perfect and I have a few apps that lag and are slow to open, but nothing I didn't experience on my old iPad. I've compared app launch times between my desktops at home and my Surface RT and all the apps I have checked are within 2 seconds except maybe Xbox music. It was pretty slow on 8.0, but the version in 8.1 is a billion times better. I just don't see this device as being the slow dog people keep saying it is - and I'm one of the people who always refused to use a atom netbook. Those things were seriously slow.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

@pallentx...I echo your comments. I have also not found anything to complain about with regard to the RT. All the apps that I use don't take an eternity to open and I don't use the Xbox Music app - so that does not really bother me. But in general, I don't find anything really that slow on the RT. If anything, it is a critical part of my work-flow!