What's new

Hello from a (nearly former) Mac user

OP
S

Snickers

Of all the reasons to consider leaving my Mac, The last thing I would cite would be a lack iOS / OS X integration. As somebody that has left the iPhone (love my LG G3) and uses my SP3 more and more, I miss the mobile OS/Desktop OS integration that Apple has.

Your comment really made me stop and think. You are absolutely right - Apple's iOS/OSX integration is superb, and Microsoft et al could learn a lot from it.

However, I wasn't really saying that the lack of integration was the frustration. For me, it's more Apple's direction in the consumer market and the effect that has on business use. The new phone/desktop integration with texts and calls is clever - and at first I marvelled at how my phone calls rang on my laptop etc. But in a meeting a few days later whilst presenting, and it rang even though my phone was on silent I didn't marvel quite so much. Another thing to remember to turn off in business mode then turn back on if I want it later on.

My point was more specific to how I personally use my technology. If working at home, traditionally I would use the MacBook - then after working I would pick up the iPad and go sit and use it in front of the TV. Used the Smart glass app to control the Xbox etc.. For me the iPad is a great consumer device. But then I would get a work email I needed to quickly respond to - look at a spreadsheet and make a quick edit, review a track change in a document etc. etc. and out would come the MacBook again.

With the Surface I now work in laptop mode and when finished simply pick it up as a tablet and use it in front of the TV in the same way I used the iPad. It's as good as the iPad for consuming, browsing etc. (not better mind - just as good). But for those bits of work that crop up - I can do them there and then. Workflow is just so much better. I don't need integration between two devices as I now only use one device - that's as integrated as you can get.

Phone is a different matter - I will watch Win 10 with interest on that front.

It's just my opinion, and of course YMMV - but for people who use their technology as I do then I personally think that the SP3 offers me a better workflow and more integration/flexibility between laptop/tablet/work/consuming than my apple solution did.

Some people like their technology ring fenced and prefer to keep things separate - in some ways Apple is much better if this is what you prefer. I'm not like that though. I watch a lot of business colleagues use an iPad as their out and about device and without fail they always have a keyboard case, extra bits etc. and invariably it weighs as much if not more than the surface. They then grumble when they can't do something or have to wait to get back to the laptop to finish something off.

I used to think it was inevitable that Apple would do a touch screen OSX device that would do what the Surface does - but now I'm not so sure, because I don't think they want to capture that part of the market - for them, iPad is about the consumer.

pmm0724

I sold my Mac Air and Ipad once I got my Surface and haven't regretted it once. Waiting for a great Windows phone to be announced. I won't give up my iPhone until a windows phone has touch security to unlock.

OP
S

Snickers

I sold my Mac Air and Ipad once I got my Surface and haven't regretted it once. Waiting for a great Windows phone to be announced. I won't give up my iPhone until a windows phone has touch security to unlock.

Yep - I have to agree with you there.. and possibly a bigger app selection

SRVwannab

Welcome!

I still own a few Macs, but I find myself using my SP3 more and more.

I bought a Nokia 1520 in hopes that I would find some synergy in the devices. So far, I can't see any upside in having a Windows Phone. I'm hoping that in future OS updates that this will change. I do think that the Nokia 1520 is a great phone and I think MS's mobile platform is way under-rated. Going even further off topic, my big frustration is that although my favorite app is the Windows mobile OS, (Audible- love it!) it is so buggy as to almost useless.

The integration of notifications, messaging, etc. between the Apple mobile/desktop environment is something that I miss. I don't miss them enough to use my Macbook Air instead of my SP3, though. :)

I can't say enough about how much I love my SP3! The form factor is perfect. With the addition of new "Technical Preview" it is even better. No more going back and forth between the desktop and the tablet side for me! That entire concept just gave me a headache.

malberttoo

Your comment really made me stop and think. You are absolutely right - Apple's iOS/OSX integration is superb, and Microsoft et al could learn a lot from it.

I believe you will see Microsoft really have redoubled their efforts in this regard, and would be surprised if Windows Phone 10 was not a major leap forward for the company. It seems like they have really taken note of what people want with regard to their mobile devices (Surfaces and phones, etc) and are working hard to get unity and good interoperability across them all. Just my 2 cent's worth of speculation. :D

OP
S

Snickers

I believe you will see Microsoft really have redoubled their efforts in this regard, and would be surprised if Windows Phone 10 was not a major leap forward for the company. It seems like they have really taken note of what people want with regard to their mobile devices (Surfaces and phones, etc) and are working hard to get unity and good interoperability across them all. Just my 2 cent's worth of speculation. :D

Well if they do make a major leap forward then they might just manage to get some traction - and if they do I think it can only be good news for everyone - Surface users, desktop users, right across the ecosystem - and more competition will force others to up their game as well. You can probably thank Apple for indirectly making the SP3 happen

Telstar1948

I agree that my SP3 is a marvelous device. I love using it as my desktop (dock, external monitors etch) then taking it with me wherever I choose. Right now I'm writing this on my SP3 on my lap with my feet propped up on the coffee table. And, I really liked my Nokia 920 - fine phone... but... I LOVE my Note 3! Can't say enough good things about it. I dropped Outlook 2013 to go with eM Client for email/calendar/contacts since MS apps generally don't like to sync smoothly with Android. Things sync nicely now using eM (BTW, it runs smoother overall and sets up email accounts much faster and easier than Outlook). So, I'm loving the combination of my SP3 and Note3...dynamite combination!