What's new

Hello from Texas

scottysize

Long story. If you don't care, just skip to the two questions, and please respond to them. Thanks!

Here's my story and my questions.

I got into computers in 1993. Back then we had DOS. (For you youngun's that don't know what DOS is, watch Pirates of Silicon Valley. You'll learn alot.) Anyway, my first laptop was a DOS based 286 laptop that I paid $1500 for and it crapped out after a few years. In 1995 I bought my first Windows machine. Windows 95 and quickly upgraded it to 98. After the 98 upgrade, the thing ran like a charm. Laptops on the other hand, not so much.

From 95 - 2009 I went through who knows how many laptops. (Upwards over 10 easily if you count the ones I bought for wifey too.) Each one was going to be the best I've ever owned and each one lasted 1-2 years. In 2009 a friend convinced me that Apple was the way to go and I had to get a MacBook Pro. After saving my pennies, I found that there's no freekin' way I would ever save enough money for a MacBook Pro, so I pulled out the old credit card and bought the first Intel based MacBook Pro. Here it is, 5 years later and I still have the same laptop and it still runs just as fast as it did from day one. Also, there's not a mark on it. The aluminum cover is outstanding. And, I'm running the latest software version, Maverick 10.9, for free. There's no cost to upgrade Apple software. If there it is, it's usually $20, not $200 like MS wants.

Now the Surface 3 is coming out and I think I want one. I think it's time to get back into the MS mobile business, but I'm scared. After all of the bad experiences I've had over 10+ years with crap laptops, I don't want to get back into that game. So, what do I need from you and why am I here?

1. I need your honest opinion on the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2.
  2. Have you upgraded each time just to get a better device, or have you had to upgrade because your other device was failing?

I'm here to see if I really want to sell my MacBook Pro and upgrade to the Surface Pro 3.

Thanks for reading and I eagerly await your responses. Thank you!
Scott

jimkraz

I have both first gen Surface RT and Surface Pro, the Surface Pro is my daily machine, it replaced my desktop, I love using my Pro and my RT, though the RT is not used daily it is still in use, I would buy the Surface Pro 3 in a heartbeat, if I could afford it, alas I can't, so will continue using my Pro and RT till they give up the ghost, though I have never had a problem with either, I read about people having this problem or that problem, but I have never had a problem since unboxing. Jim

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Thanks Jim. I would be selling my MacBook Pro and iPad Air, so I'm only going to have to come up with $500 or so. (I forgot to mention that I have a fully blown out version of the iPad Air, big 128GB with LTE, and will be replacing it with this as well.) Shouldn't be too stressful on the wallet, just wondering if I should...

smalltowngirl13

Welcome over and aboard Scott!

I don't have a version of the Surface but I do have a Lumia tab and love it! It goes with me alot and I find I get just as much as accomplished as I would with any other tab or laptop ;)...

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Thanks STG! Found the 10% student discount and couldn't pass it up, so I purchased the i5 256. Now I've got to wait until the need of the month. Ahhhrrrggg.

So just how many forums are you a part of girl? LOL

jimkraz

scottysize, I am sure you will not regret buying a Surface Pro, I know I haven't and I have had computers since Windows 3.1 when the operating system came on a stack of floppy disks, I am the wrong side of 65yrs old and if I had the cash would be buying the Pro 3 too, but as I am now on my pension, fraid not, though who knows, enjoy. Jim

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Thanks Jim. Hopefully it'll last at least 4 years for me. Like I said, my MacBook has been great, but is getting heavy ;)

smalltowngirl13

Thanks STG! Found the 10% student discount and couldn't pass it up, so I purchased the i5 256. Now I've got to wait until the need of the month. Ahhhrrrggg.

So just how many forums are you a part of girl? LOL

More than you can imagine ;)...Congrats on the new toy should hold you over till the G3 comes out - right ;)...

OP
scottysize

scottysize

More than you can imagine ;)...Congrats on the new toy should hold you over till the G3 comes out - right ;)...
NO! I want my G3 and I WANT IT NOW! :p

After I get the Surface, I'll only have a MacMini left as my server. Wifey said no more changing for me. Pick a platform and stick with it, so the Surface better be it! Also, no more phones for me either. G3's it for 2 years she said ;)

cali

Welcome to the site. I want them all but unfortunately don't have the means to achieve that goal. Hope you can get along until that next one!