What's new

Hello~

jmf13

Hello All...received a SP3 for a holiday gift and I love it! A couple of questions for you all...
-Can anyone suggest a "laptop" type desk that helps with using on the couch V. table.
-Can anyone help me with what browser is best? Seems to be defaulted to Bing, but some of my programs won't run; I.e., showtime anytime, HBO require something called Widevine and/or Adobe. Neither seem to work for me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Happy New Year!
Janew

malberttoo

Hello All...received a SP3 for a holiday gift and I love it! A couple of questions for you all...
-Can anyone suggest a "laptop" type desk that helps with using on the couch V. table.
-Can anyone help me with what browser is best? Seems to be defaulted to Bing, but some of my programs won't run; I.e., showtime anytime, HBO require something called Widevine and/or Adobe. Neither seem to work for me.

Happy New Year!
Janew

Hi Janew, congrats on the new SP3! And welcome to the forum.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

Happy New Year!
Janew
Widevine appears to be a Google DRM Browser Plugin required by some services to watch videos.
It would only work in Desktop IE not the MUI IE launched from the start screen.

Try going to the Desktop and launch IE from there then visit your sites and see if the necessary plugins will install.

OP
J

jmf13

Thanks for reply. For Widevine, it won't run from IE, and if I go to google, it says I have to run Adobe, and neither will allow me to stream the shows? Perhaps my confusion is the Desktop vs. start screen. And I do not know what MUI means?

Thanks for all the help!!!

leeshor

There are 2 different versions of IE on your system, one that runs in the Metro User Interface, (MUI), and one that runs from the desktop. The MUI version is touch friendly but the one from the desktop is more traditional and allows more add-ons than the MUI version. Dos that answer your question?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just went to ShowtimeAnytime.com , selected Free episodes, since I'm not a subscriber, selected an episode of Homeland and hit play. It prompted me to install Widevine which I did and that installed without any problems.

The key is you must run Desktop IE. There should be an IE icon on the Desktop Taskbar. You can full screen the play window.

ShowtimeAnytime.PNG

OP
J

jmf13

There are 2 different versions of IE on your system, one that runs in the Metro User Interface, (MUI), and one that runs from the desktop. The MUI version is touch friendly but the one from the desktop is more traditional and allows more add-ons than the MUI version. Dos that answer your question?
sort of! I am not even sure I understand what MUI means or the difference between the desktop or the start screen? Sorry to be so lacking in my skills!! LOL!!! I appreciate the help!!

OP
J

jmf13

I just went to ShowtimeAnytime.com , selected Free episodes, since I'm not a subscriber, selected an episode of Homeland and hit play. It prompted me to install Widevine which I did and that installed without any problems.

The key is you must run Desktop IE. There should be an IE icon on the Desktop Taskbar. You can full screen the play window.

View attachment 4968
Thanks! It appears my confusion is stemming from the start screen v. desktop, and the "taskbar?" I have a google app, the surface app and the explorer app all my desktop. Typically I will open the explorer app, which opens in Bing, but I have the google chrome icon at the bottom of that screen. I tend to use chrome, but perhaps I need the IE browser?? Thanks so much for bearing with me!!

DutchYee

Welcome on board

I really recommand to use the type cover. But there are so many options for this. Checkout Ebay, they are cheap and works well!

I use Chrome by default. I am not using hardware acceleration. Thats costs battery and use alot of your resources on your processor. But default IE is awesome to. But i really want AdBlock and Disconnect ;) (No Ads and Privacy browsing)[/QUOTE]

OP
J

jmf13

Okay All,
Have spent some time online researching and now realize that the "Surface" icon is my desktop, duh! And when I open it, the taskbar is at the bottom of that page. Think I am on track on now....