What's new

help for my decision... SSD size and microSD

ZorroZ21

Hi,
I'm from Italy and I'm valuating to buy a new Suface Pro 3 i7.
My thoughts are about the size of SSD: in a shop I've seen a 256gb version with just Office2013 and free space is 113gb (!). Is it correct? In this case I'd have a small space to install other software and my working documents,... I need 512gb (supposing to have free space for 360gb), but here in Italy the difference between 256gb model and 512gb model is 400€ (!!!)
Another question is about microSD: I suppose the largest size available is 128gb. Is it seen as an HD? May I use bitlocker to crypt it? I am not very happy to have files on a microSD with a free access to everyone, that's the reason I want to protect them. In this case, using bitlocker as crypto sw, will the microSD run slower? Does anyone test microSD with a crypto sw?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Aurelio

No it's not correct... have something else there that you can't see!
My device is 256GB and after I bought and installed a few things I still had 205GB

Grumpy2

My i7/256 had 208GB available out of the box. After doing all of the updates, installing Office 2013 and a couple of other things I still have 202GB available.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
No it's not correct... have something else there that you can't see!
My device is 256GB and after I bought and installed a few things I still had 205GB
Yep, I have office and other programs plus 20gb of conference videos and have 185gb free.

Telstar1948

I have 171 GB out of my 256, but I've installed all kinds of stuff (and, of course, the recovery partition too) including music, photos etc. so there's plenty left. I use OneDrive, but I have it set so that everything is available offline on my SP3 too in case SkyNet takes over :D. I have a 64 GB mSD card but I haven't used it yet for anything.

OP
Z

ZorroZ21

Thanks to all for the precious info! This is very useful for me

Any experiences in crypting SD with BitLocker?