What's new

HELP: How to choose a surface that fits my needs.

Moderncat

I really don't want to spend a lot of money just because. I want what will work for me.

This is what I need.
The reason I haven't bought a tablet is it didn't make sense to have one that I could't work on word or excel. Then the surface surfaced. :D I heard that you can buy paid apps to accommodate (to work on) word and excel. But does that mean I can alter or use word and excel by buying apps? Or do yo have to buy the "computer" tablet, the heavier one, where you buy the full software in order to use and access word and excel.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface RT and the Surface 2 both include Office 2013 Home and Student RT 2013, that includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook. There are some limitations with the RT version of Office, no VBA Code or VBA Macros, no embedding Video in PowerPoint, No PowerPivot Support in Excel. It will do 98% of What the x86 version of Office will do.

Windows RT (the version of Windows on the Surface RT and Surface 2) can only run 3rd party applications available through the Windows Store (like an iPad or Android).

OP
M

Moderncat

Since I don't know what VBA code, macros, embedding video and powerpivot is, I guess I don't use it :) So what's the difference between Surface 2 and surface Pro 2? Is there a graph that shows what each surface has in comparison?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface 2 runs on the Tegra4 CPU (an ARM CPU like Apple and Android), has 2GB of RAM and either a 32GB or 64GB SSD. It is lighter and thinner and has a capacitive multi-touch full HD screen.

The Surface Pro 2 runs a 4th Generation (Haswell) Intel Core i5, has between 4-8GB of RAM and a choice of 64, 128, 256 or 512GB SSDs. It has a dual digitizer (Capacitive Multi-touch and Wacom Feel Active Digitizer w/ Stylus Support) full HD Display.

The Surface 2 is primarily a Tablet with some laptop functionality, the Surface Pro 2 is a full business class notebook in Tablet Form.

kundas1

no offence but I don't see why you can't google those things, or even better yet there is many YouTube videos that SHOW you the differences. I find people now a days want instant answers instead of doing a LITTLE bit of leg work to find those answers. when I was searching for answers to why my Surface 2 was having video driver problems I searched which is how I stumbled onto this site which only this site had POSSIBLE answers which is why I posted my question here. Heck even the MS store can tell you the differences if you would have just bothered to go look. I don't mean to sound as if I am nagging but it just puzzles me why people have a hard time searching on their own? lol

Nuspieds

Since I don't know what VBA code, macros, embedding video and powerpivot is, I guess I don't use it :)
If you only ever work with Office documents that you create from scratch, then that's a fine assumption; otherwise, you're setting yourself up for failure and frustration.

Although you may not use macros, videos, etc., in the documents you create, on the other hand, documents from others may use them.

fredoffsamee

It's to bad you didn't ask this question a couple weeks back...Microsoft had the Surface RT "1" (on sale for $199)...I bought one,and after upgrading to rt 8.1 it's really a great tablet! The fact it has office home and student is a added bonus. I have used android and lots of ipad tablets,and while there okay...the Surface is most like a full laptop,tablet,desktop (I have mine hooked up to monitor while on desk).

Maybe if money is tight,you might find a new surface rt "1" on something like craigs,as I'm sure people bought for sale price trying to make a bit of profit.

OP
M

Moderncat

Apparently you don't know the answer Kundas1 or you would have told me or offered your opinion but I guess you don't know. And yes I did research why do you think I am here because I didn't get the full exact answer.

OP
M

Moderncat

fredoffsamee: so is it safe to assume buy the surface pro 2 if I want full access to office and surface 2 does not have full access but enough to get you buy with word, excel etc?

kundas1

Apparently you don't know the answer Kundas1 or you would have told me or offered your opinion but I guess you don't know. And yes I did research why do you think I am here because I didn't get the full exact answer.

actually I did answer you as I told you the places where to go look, but I am not going to do the work FOR YOU which is what your expecting everyone to do :wink: LOL

good luck with your search tho

trippma

I have to disagree. Coming here and asking questions is a product of 'doing the work' as you call it. After all you don't just 'stumble' across these sites without doing some searching on the webs. And where better to research the Surface family than a site with countless helpful people who use the products everyday?

Back to the question at hand - as stated above the Surface RT/2 includes Office RT 2013 (word, excel, pp, outlook) and while not quite the 'full' Office it's more than enough for everyone save the heavy power users. If you feel you need the full Office suite just to be safe (keep in mind that you'll have to purchase Office), or if you need to run any software that you'd purchase from a retailer or download from a developer's site then you'll want the Pro/Pro2. Some good everyday examples include Quicken/QuickBooks, Photoshop, and PC Games.

Hope this helps

Last edited: