What's new

Help me convince my boss to get the PRO

Omegac

So at my work my boss is trying to get me to get the Yoga 13. I however do not like it one bit. Now he told me to find some reasons i should get the Surface Pro over the yoga. So i am here to get some more info on why others choose the Surface pro over other devices. I would like to say thanks in advance.

mitchellvii

The Yoga 13 has 1600 * 900 resolution on a 13 inch tablet which sucks. The Yoga 13 has no pen. If your boss doesn't need a pen and wants a bigger screen than the Surface Pro he should get the Dell XPS 12 instead of the Yoga 13. Much better about same price. The Samsung ATIV 700 competes quite favorably with the Surface Pro at the same price from Microsoft Store, has a full keyboard, bigger screen and a pen.

Why get the Surface Pro over the ATIV 700? Not sure. Matter of taste. One thing with the SP is that you can use a case to achieve more viewing angles. With the 700 you are kind of stuck, but then again you can use it easier on your lap. If I had it to do again I might have gotten the 700 because of the larger screen.

souldier

It really depends on ones individual needs. One person's usage might definitely gravitate toward the yoga so its hard to say if one is better than the other, even though one might clearly have better specs than the other.

The surface pro is for those who want more of a TABLET experience. Some advantages include:
-Lighter
-Smaller
-Thinner
-Has pen input
-Seems more appropriate to use at various occasions whether formal or casual
-A lot more handy, and you won't have exposed keyboard keys when holding it as you would when the Yoga is in tablet mode
-Sharper screen at 1920x1080 squished on a 10.6" screen VS. a 1600x900 on an even bigger 13" screen

The yoga 13 is for someone who wants a more LAPTOP like experience. Some advantages include:
-Bigger screen
-Can be used a lot more effectively in the lap
-Has more ports
-Has an adjustable angle screen
-Has a real keyboard

For my use and wants, I got the surface pro because I use it often like a tablet, but it can be my computer when I need it to be which is also often. If a person doesn't need tablet functionality so much, then I would simply advise they don't get the surface and stick more to a traditional laptop like the yoga 13, because it least you'll get some sort of tablet functionality, even if it is quite poor as a tablet. Some people buy a laptop and buy a separate tablet like an ipad but I don't want to carry around 2 devices as I am often on the go and need everything in one place.

OP
O

Omegac

Souldier you hit it right on the nail with some of the stuff i was looking for. Currently right now i have a laptop and a android tablet. I hate carrying and changing 2 devices. See he sees it from a laptop stand point but he is in a office all day and never in the field or around the shop. I work for a company that builds servers and remotes into them and fix them and also clients computers. I want to be able to work from anywhere on the road or the shop and not have to worry about very much. I have a docking station at work and home for my current laptop. I personaly think the yoga is not a good choice for me but it ends up what research i give him and what he wants to spend money on. So again thanks for some of the things you said.

mitchellvii

Souldier you hit it right on the nail with some of the stuff i was looking for. Currently right now i have a laptop and a android tablet. I hate carrying and changing 2 devices. See he sees it from a laptop stand point but he is in a office all day and never in the field or around the shop. I work for a company that builds servers and remotes into them and fix them and also clients computers. I want to be able to work from anywhere on the road or the shop and not have to worry about very much. I have a docking station at work and home for my current laptop. I personaly think the yoga is not a good choice for me but it ends up what research i give him and what he wants to spend money on. So again thanks for some of the things you said.

Well if you need pen input the Yoga is out. If you want a tablet that you can simply fold the keyboard back as you write on it in the field the 700t is out.

machistmo

The ThinkPad Tablet2 is nice from a battery life standpoint. Granted it's 32 bit and ATOM (shudder) based. I have recently staged 15 or so of them and use one everyday. I must say its Not-Bad. I don't love everything about it, but for the uses you describe it's perfect. I have the Admin tools loaded on it with 2010 Pro plus and HEAT and some other software that I use daily. It works perfectly. I have not been super impressed with its output via the HDMI but I have only used it on one monitor so far so I will update this when / if I test on others.

I get about 9 or 10 hours of battery life out of it and it has the dock feature. It weighs as much as an iPad and runs Office, the Admin Tools (ADUC etc), very well. The BT keyboard/stand is 'clunky' to carry around. I find it ok all in all.

Sounds like the Helix is what you are really after:

Convertible Ultrabook Laptop & Tablet PC | ThinkPad Helix | 11.6" with Windows 8 (US)

Last edited:
OP
O

Omegac

The Helix looks cool. I personally would rather get the surface vs anything else he wants me to get. Battery issue wont be to much of a issue for me as i will have a charger at work and a charger at home. I will always be close to power. I just like the ability to leave my work station and work in the office still and/or not have to carry a Nexus 7 and a laptop. Again i would like to thank everyone on here for helping me out with this. I am going to let you guys know tomorrow if i am going to be getting one.

souldier

If I were to get a laptop hybrid, I would definitely look into the Yoga 11s (not to be mistaken with the Yoga 11 Windows RT version). It is basically like the yoga 13 but in an 11 inch form factor which is a lot more tablet friendly, yet would be a perfectly good laptop as well. It is supposed to come out in June. Honestly, if the Yoga 11s was out around the same time as the surface pro, I might of skipped out on the surface pro, because having that laptop functionality is a huge irreplaceable plus. There are times where I really need to use the SP in my lap or where I need a full working keyboard, and that's where you have to trade off with the SP. I could imagine that the SP will still be better at being a tablet than the 11s will however. I've never been a fan of the whole keyboard docking solution such as the Ativ 700t because of some of the drawbacks that come along with it.