What's new

Help: MicroSD card not detected.

heyyou

I have had a Sandisk 32GB microSDHC card for just over a year now. It's been in my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone the whole time, and not without a few problems here and there, but still usable. But now the problem is that it is now complete unusable. The current problem is that it cannot be recognized being inserted in any device I own. But the problem didn't start like that.

Just today, it was working just fine without any incident. Then suddenly, the card is read as being empty, with absolutely no content inside. Plus, it cannot be changed in any way. I could not create new folders nor save any new files or photos in there, and any attempt would say that the operation failed.

I tried to insert the card into all of my other smartphones and computers, using every card reader and adapter I have and the built-in microSD slot in my Surface Pro 2, hoping that the files can be read in other ways, but to no avail. And now, somehow the card is completely undetectable. None of my devices recognize that the card is even inserted, so I can't even select it on the screen to try formatting it.

I tried looking for a solution on the internet, but everywhere I go, the solution is only for recovering deleted files, but never a way to make the card detectable, readable and usable again.

Can somebody please help?

daniielrp

Honestly no idea and wouldn't want to suggest something without knowing, but I have heard of this issue a few times with Android phones, perhaps it is just the way that system mounts or uses the card.

OP
H

heyyou

The card is that way with every device and computer I have. The problem is clearly with the card itself. All of my other microSD cards work just fine of those devices.

kundas1

I have the exact same phone and the phone ruined 2 SD cards, I can tell you without a doubt that it was your phone ruined the card.... it's the way the android phones format the cards and doesn't mount/unmount the card correctly.

OP
H

heyyou

I have the exact same phone and the phone ruined 2 SD cards, I can tell you without a doubt that it was your phone ruined the card.... it's the way the android phones format the cards and doesn't mount/unmount the card correctly.

By any chance, are your 2 SD cards Sandisk? And by any chance, did you find a way to fix them?

kundas1

Yes they were SanDisk 64gb extreme (red one) and no, once they're finished, they're finished.

OP
H

heyyou

Yes they were SanDisk 64gb extreme (red one) and no, once they're finished, they're finished.

I think I read somewhere that Sandisk has great prices for their SD cards, but their cards have a tendency to fail. I can't remember where I read this from, or how true it is, though.

OP
H

heyyou

Strange. For some reason, it's working again. Then it stops working, and then starts working again.

I left it in my Galaxy Note 2 for several days without trying anything, and then it works fine again, with all files still intact. Then I tried connected the phone to my computer to transfer a few files, and then it became undetectable and stopped working again, like I described. Once again, I left it in my phone for a day, and it became detectable and usable again. I wonder what the heck's wrong with it.

It's currently working on my phone now, but I wonder for how much longer. Anyways, I backed up all of my files.