What's new

Help on Display port problem.

cschaepe

I purchased a microsoft display port/HDMI plug for my surface book. I am finding the plug does not 'stick' properly. I insert it and it slips back out. Should I expect it to click in and stay or is this an issue with the cable or just a poor design? I have to keep on pushing it in or it will pop out and drop the signal.
-Craig

Telstar1948

Although I haven't actually used my mDP on my SB yet, it doesn't "click" or lock in place. Close tolerance for the fit is what keeps it in there, i.e. friction. If pushing it in the port all the way isn't enough to keep it secure, the cable/adapter is the problem.

OP
C

cschaepe

So I went to Best Buy tonight and tested the mDP and apparently it is designed for a SP3&4 and not the SB. By that, I mean that the rubber surround is angled for the angled body of the SP. It fits in completely due to the matching angle. The SB has a flat side and the rubber surround pushes on the flat sides of the base.
I could take an exacto knife and trim some rubber and I am sure it would fit ok.
So Microsoft cheeped out by not redesigning it.

flar

My BB had two different versions of the dongles. Some said support for up through SP3 and newer ones listed the SB. Does your box actually mention the SB as one of the supported models?

OP
C

cschaepe

I had BB check there SKU's and they only had one. You may be right that they changed the design recently. You are correct though the box doesn't state SB. I guess I will return this and look for a newer version.

flar

When I looked at the 2 boxes they had the same model number on them, but one was a dark grey and the other was white. I think the white ones listed SB as compatible. At the time I doubted that they were different models since a miniDP is a miniDP, but now that I saw your post I wonder if the older models didn't have the clearance for the SB.

When I go to the MS store site, there are multiple ways to navigate around and I can find 2 different HDMI adapters. One is listed as "Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter" and lists SB compatibility and has a very small non-angled miniDP end. The other is listed as "Surface Mini DisplayPort HDMI AV Adapter" and talks about SP3/S3 and has a miniDP connector that is thinner and longer than the HDMI end.

Then there is this page which lists the latter of those 2 accessories and the miniDP end of it clearly looks tilted, though the relative sizes of the HDMI and miniDP ends are not the same as you see when you click on it:

Microsoft Surface Tablets

On the BB web site there are 2 SKUs for the adapters and the one that doesn't mention SB is on a clearance currently:
Microsoft - Surface Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI Adapter - Gray

As opposed to this one that is not on clearance:
Microsoft - Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI Adapter for Microsoft Surface 3, Surface Pro 3 and 4 and Surface Book - Black

Unfortunately, they don't show pictures of the boxes on the web site... :(

But, clearly MS had a different adapter before the SB came out and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't ditch the angle in the connector when they updated it...