What's new

Help - Surface 3 not waking from Sleep/Hibernate & other Issues

alfred-socal

Hoping that anyone could help as I've tried looking everywhere.... :(

I have the Surface 3 (4GB RAM / 128GB eMC), and lately this week, it has been refusing to wake up from sleep/hibernate. I know it turns ON because you could see that faint glow of the screen, but nothing shows up. I wait for a couple of minutes (based on an MS article that "things could take time"), to no avail. For the n-th time, been using the Forced Shutdown (pressing the Power Button for around 30-secs).

LogViewer.JPG

I've been hearing about Sleep/Hibernate issues with the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book; with Microsoft saying that they won't be able to fix it until early January.... However, there is no mention on the Surface 3 - am I the only one experiencing this issues?
:confused:

... Also, as you can see from the log above, lots of 7031, 10016 and 219 errors. What gives?

It is just unfortunate that the 30-day return has passed - I got this machine to be productive, but instead been getting headaches and wasted time trying to troubleshoot/fix it (albeit, unsuccessfully).

If this were a car, a Lemon Law could be... *sigh*

Thanks in advanced!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 8.1 or 10? Have you applied all of the updates? What are you using for Antivirus? Are you running any Peer to Peer Applications? We need a bit more info to help....

OP
A

alfred-socal

Windows 8.1 or 10? Have you applied all of the updates? What are you using for Antivirus? Are you running any Peer to Peer Applications? We need a bit more info to help....

Hi...

Of course,

• Windows 10 Home, bare-bone
  • No P2P applications running
  • McAfee All Access
  • Yes, AFAIK - latest update is Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124200)
And, yes, this started happening all week... I've had the Surface 3 since November, but problems just kept cropping up since the slew of updates this month (December).

UPDATE: As per a Microsoft thread, I tried using DISM and SFC to find any corrupt files, etc. Results were negative. *sigh* This is so confusing...

Thanks,
Alfred

PS: What I'm also concerned about is that most Forums only talk about the SP3, the SP4 and the Book. Rarely do I see any posts/threads on the S3 - am wondering if this is only me (ie., that the Surface 3 is quite stable). Hence, finding a solution becomes difficult - would a solution for the SP3 work for the Atom-version?

Attachments

• LatestErrorLog.JPG
    LatestErrorLog.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 518

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface 3 tends to be very stable... one thing you could try is see if there is a newer version of McAfee or remove it.

We can also attempt some mere advanced diagnostics using PowerCfg from the CMD Prompt

OP
A

alfred-socal

The Surface 3 tends to be very stable... one thing you could try is see if there is a newer version of McAfee or remove it.

We can also attempt some mere advanced diagnostics using PowerCfg from the CMD Prompt

McAfee is up to date...

For using PowerCfg, and command parameters you'd recommend?

Thanks,

OP
A

alfred-socal

Based on several other forums/threads, and really running out of options, I tried manually installing Surface3_WiFi_Win10_151109_1.msi, along with powercfg /h /type full (in elevated CMD).

Though I get the "Windows Logo" instead of the "Surface Logo" at boot - so far, the Hibernate is working.

I hope I did the right thing...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That was the driver package and it will only install missing updates you're safe...as far as enabling traditional hibernate, did it disable Connected Standby? You can check by running powercfg /a from an elevated CMD Prompt, if Standby (S0 low power state) still is enabled you should be fine....