What's new

HELP! Surface pro and issues plugging in usb devices

Sky4Christ

Ok, I'm struggling here.
I've tried plugging in a kindle fire and a nokia lumia 928 into my surface through USB and it won't recognize either of them. both of them will charge when they are plugged into the surface but the surface doesn't seem to do anything with them I check device manager and they do not come up when plugged in. I did plug the Kindle and the Lumia into my laptop to make sure that the cord worked. (laptop is win 7 which I'm more familiar with) and My laptop was able to see the kindle and the Lumia without a problem. Something is up with the surface where Its not loading the drivers for either when they are plugged in. I also plugged in a USB thumb drive to the surface and it loaded up like a charm. So anyone have any other ideas on why both the kindle and Lumia are not wanting to sync up with the Surface?

jimkraz

I have the Surface Pro too and my Kindle is picked up no problem as is my Lumia 820, in fact I have a USB3 hub and have two external drives I connect regularly, a mouse and a couple of pen drives, all work no problem, have you another cable you can try, as you use pen drive no problem it would seem that maybe that particular cable may not like your Pro's usb. Jim

OP
S

Sky4Christ

Smart man

I have the Surface Pro too and my Kindle is picked up no problem as is my Lumia 820, in fact I have a USB3 hub and have two external drives I connect regularly, a mouse and a couple of pen drives, all work no problem, have you another cable you can try, as you use pen drive no problem it would seem that maybe that particular cable may not like your Pro's usb. Jim

We tried another Usb cable and it worked like a charm. I didn't realize that would make a difference since the cable worked on my win 7 laptop. Thank you so much for the help!!!