What's new

Help to use the Office with Surface Pro 3

Enrico D.

I'm too happy of Sp3 and now I'm considering to buy and use the Office Home Plan, the one for 5 users in the family to use mainly Excel, Word, Powerpoint etc.

I have some doubt, can you help me?

1. if I use excel (desktop), can I make back ups in automatic in this way: when I save on my desktop an excel file it will upload and store even in onedrive or other office site online don't know.. in this way I always have a back up if I forget to make myself

2. About outlook (desktop). I was thinking to leave thunderbird and use again outlook.
Even here, there is a way to use the Outlook desktop and save/backup in automatic all what I do in onedrive or in outlook/office online?

that's all, please let me know thanks :)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you download onedrive to your PC you can save your work in office (or anything else) in the one drive folder (which appears in the file explorer in the same way Dropbox and googlerdrive do) and it will automatically sync to the cloud.

As for outlook, I havne't got my head around that one myself. I can't get outlook to sync my calendar onto multiple devices my calendar appears as "this computer only" and I'm not sure what I have to do to get it to sync with my phone etc.

ctitanic

If Outlook connects to an exchange eor IMAP account everything you do is online. The only time when Outlook download and does not leave anything in the server is when it connects to a pop3 account and even in this case you can configure when do you want the info to be deleted.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
For Office, just save everything to OneDrive, you're going to get 1TB of Storage with Office365 Home Premium for each individual you give a license to (up to 5).

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it possible to sync the calendar in outlook using onedrive somehow? Mine's really annoying at the moment - but it might be because I'm transitioning between two systems. I always used Google Calendar. My Win8 phone syncs it's calendar with that fine, but Outlook can't sync with it - I've downloaded and imported it, but it's still separate, and each time I add something to the calendar it doesn't sync with outlook calendar on my Surface or Phone... though if I put a new appointment into Google Calendar it does appear on my phone... I guess it's not set up right!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
With Outlook, you have 2 choices for Calendar Syncing, Exchange Server or Outlook.com, with the Outlook Calendar you need to make it the default Calendar in Outlook.

Sorry I don't use any Google Services except YouTube which does require a Google Account that ironically I only have because Microsoft asked me upload some videos to the service that they wanted to use for a boog post for the Surface.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which is the easiest option for me as a home user? I set up an outlook.com email which now has all my googlemail in it through forwarding but I never really go into it, can I import my googlecalendar into that and then get it to sync???

This feud between google and microsoft is really annoying. I noticed this morning that the youtube app was no longer available on my surface!! As I was a heavy google services user it's making transitioning to the surface and win phone very difficult (which I guess is the point..LOL)>