What's new

Help with i7 - What is listed in Device Settings for CPU?

Dim-Ize

I am about to buy a SP4 on Craigslist from a local seller. It is listed as an i7 with 265 storage.

I want to ensure the CPU is indeed an i7 when I get there today.

What is displayed when selecting My Computer, Properties ? Intel Core i7 - 6650U? (for example, my SP2 shows the following: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30 GHz).

How else could I ensure it is an i7 when I boot it up before purchase?

Thanks!

dcoplien

Right click on My Computer and it will tell you. If you don't find the icon on the desktop, with Win 10 go to settings, personalization, themes, desktop icon settings

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am about to buy a SP4 on Craigslist from a local seller. It is listed as an i7 with 265 storage.

What is displayed when selecting My Computer, Properties ? Intel Core i7 - 6650U? (for example, my SP2 shows the following: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30 GHz).

Thanks!
Yes it would indicate i7-6650U

You could take a USB stick with you with HWINFO & CPU-Z on it, perhaps Passmark and or PCmark. a micro SD card to make sure everything works.

dcoplien

If you want to make sure you are not getting an SP3 upgraded to Win 10, run the surface app, click on the smile icon. Among other things, it will show 3 or 4.

Amar95353

If you want to make sure you are not getting an SP3 upgraded to Win 10, run the surface app, click on the smile icon. Among other things, it will show 3 or 4.
You don't really need to do that. Surface pro 4 has all of the buttons including power and volume on the top edge of the surface whereas the pro 3 has the power button on the top edge and the volume buttons are placed on the left edge. It also has the windows hello camera and ir emitter which produces a red glow when activated and furthermore you will notice the absence of a windows touch button on the pro 4's screen bezel which the pro 3 has.

Amar95353

Thanks!
You could also identify the cpu model through the task manager if you open the task manager and click on the performance tab then click on cpu it will give you all of the details of the cpu within the surface on the right hand side.