What's new

Help !!!

RiccardoM

My Surface 3 is not able to boot Windows anymore. It had Windows 10 pre-installed (unfortunately). As suggested by the support, I created an USB drive with the downloaded Surface 3 recovery image - but the Surface is not able to boot from USB in that case. I also downloaded a Windows 10 ISO image, created a bootable USB with rufus, but still no boot from USB. The strange thing is that if I create a bootable USB drive with an OpenSuse ISO, then it boots from USB. And I am using the same USB pen !!!! Why my surface is not able to boot anymore any Windows image ???? HELP !!!!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it start to boot and then gets a Blue Screen? do you see an activity on the USB drive?

Try using the Media Creation Tool to make the Widows 10 Bootable USB for 64 bit only and verify it. These are both options in the Media Creation Tool.

If you have a Micro SD card installed, remove it.
Don't have any other USB drives plugged in on a hub if you're using one.
If it's in a docking station take it out.

OP
R

RiccardoM

Does it start to boot and then gets a Blue Screen? do you see an activity on the USB drive?

I see activity for a very short time - then stuck.

Try using the Media Creation Tool to make the Widows 10 Bootable USB for 64 bit only and verify it. These are both options in the Media Creation Tool.

I did it....

If you have a Micro SD card installed, remove it.
Don't have any other USB drives plugged in on a hub if you're using one.
If it's in a docking station take it out.

No other devices....

thanks for your help, anyway.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hold the power button for 30 seconds to force it off.
Then hold the Volume up button and press power on, keep holding the volume up until a couple seconds after the Surface logo appears. It should boot into UEFI. then exit and attempt to boot the USB.

OP
R

RiccardoM

Hold the power button for 30 seconds to force it off.
Then hold the Volume up button and press power on, keep holding the volume up until a couple seconds after the Surface logo appears. It should boot into UEFI. then exit and attempt to boot the USB.

Yes, I did it. It worked well for the OpenSuse (with Secure Boot disabled), but it doesn't work (either with Secure Boot enabled or disabled) for any Windows image. The only remaining hope is that I could have selected a different language than the one originally installed. Would it make a difference ?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I did it. It worked well for the OpenSuse (with Secure Boot disabled), but it doesn't work (either with Secure Boot enabled or disabled) for any Windows image. The only remaining hope is that I could have selected a different language than the one originally installed. Would it make a difference ?
I have no idea why that would make any difference if it did.