What's new

Hi all, has anyone noticed when you slide down to kill an app it still sits in task manager??

OP
T

Theguru

I wonder if windows 10 has the same experience? I notice on the recent windows 10 event he did swipe down on desktop apps as well..

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I had to replace my stolen surface pro 2 last year, I purchased a SP 1 as a stopgap until I got an SP3. Having 8GB of RAM in SP2, I was very concerned going down to 4GB would be noticeably different regarding performance. Its something I was paying very close attention to, but running it under normal conditions (PhotoShop , AVID, IE, metro apps opened) I did not notice a significant drop in performance at all. I think Windows 8.1 is very efficient with its memory usage, particularly with metro apps. In short, there aren't many useful reasons to fully close apps as Windows handles it very efficiently.

Yup, since vista windows has been getting progressively more efficient with ram, yet for some reason everyone got worked up over the question of 4gb or 8gb arguing that you'll need 8gb for when win 10 comes out. I have 8gb on my desktop, and 4gb on my surface, no discernable difference.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, since vista windows has been getting progressively more efficient with ram, yet for some reason everyone got worked up over the question of 4gb or 8gb arguing that you'll need 8gb for when win 10 comes out. I have 8gb on my desktop, and 4gb on my surface, no discernable difference.
Some of that come from changes to Task Manager in showing memory usage and some from how Windows uses memory. Rather than NOT using the RAM Windows will cache programs, data, disk reads etc. in memory to avoid if possible going back to disk for it. so it appears Windows is using all or most of the memory. Freakout ensues OMG I'm only running one program and its used all the RAM blah blah blah ... Some of that RAM is called "standby" meaning we really don't need it but we are hanging onto it in case we need it again. However, if we need some RAM for anything else it's free to take with no further action as it's already been saved or was never modified and as far as the owner is concerned it was already freed. If the original owner makes the same request again and it's still there we just give it back without having to do a disk IO. There's plenty of room for more programs and data and Windows will cache as much as possible since it much faster that way. Enter SSDs with much faster access times than HDDs and the benefits amplify.

Nothing is black and white anymore there are many optimizations at work in systems doing their best to keep everything running as smooth as possible.

olimjj

Have just tried this with hill climb racing, client for youtube, sketchable, and store. All close within a handful of seconds once i X them.
I was using my i5 128GB SP with 4gb RAM at the time. I wonder if that makes a difference? I get the same result with client for youtube and store on the sp1. I will have to try on my docked SP3 "workstation" when I have the time.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was using my i5 128GB SP with 4gb RAM at the time. I wonder if that makes a difference? I get the same result with client for youtube and store on the sp1. I will have to try on my docked SP3 "workstation" when I have the time.

Mine was tested on my desktop, as i've win 10 on my surface.

double07

According to MS, this is by design. swiping down to close the app is really more like halfway kill. It was designed such as that user can relaunch the app and it would refresh.

To really kill the app using the swipe down is to: Swipe down to the bottom of the screen and hold for few seconds until the icon flip, then complete the swipe down. That will completely kill and remove from task manager.

ptrkhh

lol at one point, youd need more RAM to run Android than Windows