What's new

Hi all, has anyone noticed when you slide down to kill an app it still sits in task manager??

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if you "close" an app, Xing it out, it will still appear in the task manager. You still must "end task" to fully eliminate it. Not so for the flipping method

Not for me. If i X a program, it still displays in task manger and then after a few seconds is gone. Just tried it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
WinRT allows Apps to stay resident in Memory for Quick Resume, they only remain for 5 minutes or so, then they fully suspend and release the resources, also they release the resources if the machine requires them....

goodintentions

@hughlle We were talking about apps not desktop programs.
Believe it or not, "desktop programs" are also apps. Developers have been using the term "app" for decades.

If you want to differentiate between full screen apps and desktop apps, you have to say modern (metro) apps versus desktop apps.

olimjj

Believe it or not, "desktop programs" are also apps. Developers have been using the term "app" for decades.

If you want to differentiate between full screen apps and desktop apps, you have to say modern (metro) apps versus desktop apps.

You are absolutely correct I should have been more specific and use the term Metro apps, but the original post was speaking to those (see post one). I guess I was a little word lazy in my references. Semantics aside, the OP experience and question should be our main response objective.

mohcho

Part of being a developer/programmer is we have to consider scenarios where people screw up. Why? Because we always get the blame.

You can never fully idiot proof a program because there are simply too many of them out there and you will never think like them, so you can't imagine the stuff they will do to find ways to blame you.

That's probably the biggest reason why I never got into software development...

mennogreg

When I had to replace my stolen surface pro 2 last year, I purchased a SP 1 as a stopgap until I got an SP3. Having 8GB of RAM in SP2, I was very concerned going down to 4GB would be noticeably different regarding performance. Its something I was paying very close attention to, but running it under normal conditions (PhotoShop , AVID, IE, metro apps opened) I did not notice a significant drop in performance at all. I think Windows 8.1 is very efficient with its memory usage, particularly with metro apps. In short, there aren't many useful reasons to fully close apps as Windows handles it very efficiently.

goodintentions

You can never fully idiot proof a program because there are simply too many of them out there and you will never think like them, so you can't imagine the stuff they will do to find ways to blame you.

That's probably the biggest reason why I never got into software development...
Haha. I'm still bitter about a 1 star review I got 5 months ago for my main app (modern word). It's a touch oriented word processor. There is an option that makes the app read-only. It's there so people can read documents without accidentally bring up the virtual keyboard. All it is is a check box on the upper left hand corner of the screen. Check it for read-only mode. Uncheck it to edit document.

A woman checked it and then wrote a 1 star review saying she couldn't write anything. By the way, when it is in read-only mode, there are red letters on top that reads "Read-only Mode".

Trying to make a software as close to idiot-proof as possible is actually half of the job in software development.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe you, but I don't have Drawboard. With PDF touch it behaves as I describe. Drawboard ,then was coded to correctly behave as it should.

Have just tried this with hill climb racing, client for youtube, sketchable, and store. All close within a handful of seconds once i X them.