What's new

Hi, my name is...

Will Microsoft ever catch up to Android and iOS in the mobile/tablet market?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kennybtx

Hi, my name is Ken and I'm an AppleHolic. Funny, right? There are many like me out there, so be nice. I am not an Apple "Fanboy" or am I a Microsoft "Basher". I'm just a guy that loves to use technology that works well.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum Ken

I think your poll doesn't make a lot of sense but I'm interested in see what others have to say. You are trying to compare tablets intended for different purposes and the use of pure tablets is on the wane. There is going to be a market for all three, for a while. Since the Surface is really a computer/PC with the ability to be a tablet they are really very different from Android or Apple tablets.

If you were asking about Windows phones, that's a different story.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Confusing, poorly focused poll. "Mobile" and "Tablet" are different platforms, and you seem to imply that Microsoft intends to "catch up".

Will sweet pickles ever catch up to dill pickles?
Will coffee ever catch up to tea?
Will Smart Cars ever catch up to smartphones?

(Okay, now I'm being silly.) :)

Welcome to the forum. I like Apple, too. Here at this well-lighted site you have ready help and instant friends to discuss all things Surface.

malberttoo

Hi, my name is Ken and I'm an AppleHolic. Funny, right? There are many like me out there, so be nice. I am not an Apple "Fanboy" or am I a Microsoft "Basher". I'm just a guy that loves to use technology that works well.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Your question is an interesting one, although it's a little ambiguous, and in all reality impossible to actually make the comparison that you are trying to.

With the Surface (not Pro) line of tablets, Microsoft has created something that's more along the lines of Android or iOS, that is, a mobile type of operating system. A "limited" OS.

But with the Surface Pro tablets, those are full-function, full power, wide open, completely unlimited PC's, stuffed into a Tablet form factor, and may I also say, IMHO drastically elevating the function level of the tablet form.

So I don't really think that your poll items can really be compared directly to each other.

BillJ

As others have stated above, this is an ambiguous question to put before a bunch of SP users.

Perhaps the question could be restated as : "What is likely to be the dominant OS for personal electronic communication devices in the next 5 years?"

My prediction: IOS and Android will remain dominant in devices used by teenagers to send self-destructing photographs to each other. The business world will embrace Windows 10.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Mobile is a broad notion.... and I think you actually mean Windows, as Microsoft is making a killing on Android and iOS through Office 365, OneDrive and OneDrive for Business, Azure Cloud Services which iCloud is built on top of.... also their Patient Payments from Android is a Billion Dollar Business and Apple pays a bunch of fees on every iOS device....

Now when we talk about Windows, there are 23 Billion Windows Devices with the majority of those are mobile platforms.... as far as Applications overall Windows leads there too....